Yet another new book this time on Al Unser Jr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another new book this time on Al Unser Jr

Due out on Oct 1: Al Unser Jr: A Checkered Past.
    Looks like Jade Gurss may be involved.
    Link

More info here

Comment

I knew of his drug and alcohol dependency, plus his legal and domestic troubles, but I didn't know he tried to take extreme measures to end his pain.

Comment

Without the split and his personal problems I have no doubt that we would have been looking at a 5th 4 time winner at Indy.

Comment

I just read on another forum that his cousin Bobby Unser Jr. (not Robbie) died about a month after his dad at age 53. Never saw any mention of this anywhere else. No cause listed. He raced sprint cars for awhile it appears in his 20s from the looks of the pics.
          "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
          "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
          "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Stick500 View Post
            I just read on another forum that his cousin Bobby Unser Jr. (not Robbie) died about a month after his dad at age 53. Never saw any mention of this anywhere else. No cause listed. He raced sprint cars for awhile it appears in his 20s from the looks of the pics.
            I didn't know this until now. Sad.

https://www.legacy.com/news/celebrit...by-unsers-son/
            www.ragingphotos.com

Comment

Not to derail the thread, but Bobby Jr. was 65, not 53. He ran sprint cars early in his career and found some success, however I;'m not sure he was (nor wanted to be) following in his father's footsteps. He did run the peak, but he also became a stunt man for movies and TV.

As I understand he had hip surgery and developed blood clots.
              "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

There was a thread on it at the time:
                https://www.trackforum.org/forum/mot...bobby-unser-jr
                "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Preview:

https://the-race.com/indycar/from-in...rs-story-told/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X