Bill Vukovich Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Vukovich Question

I would like clarification on something for personal use.

When Bill Vukovich had his fatal accident, is it true that he was partially decapitated?

I genuinely don't mean this as a morbid or sick question, I've just heard it multiple ways and I wasn't sure.

Originally posted by Argo1987 View Post
    I would like clarification on something for personal use.

When Bill Vukovich had his fatal accident, is it true that he was partially decapitated?

I genuinely don't mean this as a morbid or sick question, I've just heard it multiple ways and I wasn't sure.
    There used to be a website devoted to the crash that I believe was called www.vukovichaccident.com
    I'm not sure if it's still accessible or not...at one time I had it bookmarked, but I've changed computers since then, and I'm not sure it survived the changeover. IIRC, it covered Bill's injuries...there were several speculations as to his head injuries; one was that when the car leapt up into the air, his head hit the bottom of the pedestrian bridge, another was that his neck was broken when the car hit the ground on it's first flip. At any rate, everybody seemed to agree that he was already deceased before the car caught fire, at that's what I remember. It's been several years since I visited that particular website.

UPDATE

I think I found the website I was referring to.
    www.billvukovich.com

The link will take you to the website but won't reveal any content when you click onto a topic. It's still possible to access the info by googling Bill Vukovich 1955 Indy Accident, though...it's a very detailed look at what happened. I'd go that route and bypass the link I gave. Sorry for any inconvenience.
    Tibi Fumus Obsidio Septum Doro

Comment

The stories of decapitation and partial decapitation in motorsport accidents are almost always that, stories. It has happened, fortunately not many times, and the drivers involved are often quite obscure. And, no, I don't want this to be a discussion of who actually was decapitated, ok? The same applies to almost all fatal accidents, especially on the internet, or around these parts where no matter how bad the accident was, it gets gruesomely embellished.

Two words, Jayne Mansfield.
      "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

The old Vukovich accident website content is still accessible if you go through Internet Wayback.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120204...haccident.com/

This will give it to you at the time of the webpage author's death with all material still up (2012).

Comment

I do believe on the accident report website it mentions that someone who has seen the autopsy report said Bill died of a severe head injury. I’m not one to shy away from discussions of motor racing death, but that’s sufficient for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Big G 94 View Post
            I do believe on the accident report website it mentions that someone who has seen the autopsy report said Bill died of a severe head injury. I’m not one to shy away from discussions of motor racing death, but that’s sufficient for me.
            And it's accurate, it doesn't imply more. Just so people don't read between the lines, since that is how rumors get started, Vukovich's death certificate reads: "crushed skull", but also "severe internal injuries", third degree burns and multiple fractures are listed as contributing factors in his death
            "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Paddon View Post
              The old Vukovich accident website content is still accessible if you go through Internet Wayback.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120204...haccident.com/

This will give it to you at the time of the webpage author's death with all material still up (2012).
              Rex was a great guy. I definitely miss his calls.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X