Dario #50 car 2012 winner, Location/Status confirmed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lotuspoweredbyford View Post

They were hand-written note cards. 3x5 note cards.
    Thnx.

For the record, I don't thinkt the manner as of how vital and correct info is recorded.
    Remeber the alleged story about the setup details of the 1979 Ligier: They were written down on a cigarette cardbox.
    Which was the lost, as was the rest of the season for Ligier...

Comment

Originally posted by Indyote View Post
      F Y I:

I took this info from an article about the car's retirement published in 2019, believe it was on the IMS Site or perhaps with Racer:

but the serial # of the 2019 winner (Pagenaud) was listed as IR12-042.

EDIT: "mouse", did you read my PM to you????
      Ive gotten a lot, thanks for the serial.

If anyone else has any serials, it would be great.

I have a suspicion.. But I think 2021 might be the first time an IR12/DW12 car won, that wasn't in the original group of 2012 Dallara cars made.

A quote from Pruitt

-----------------------------------
      How many DW-12 chassis (tubs?) have been built? How many are still “raceable” (i.e., not damaged to the point where they are show cars only)?
      Eric

MP: My man Stefano DePonti from Dallara came through on this one for us: 77 tubs built, 75 complete cars sold, and the best we could come up with was five destroyed/yet-to-be-repaired DW12 tubs.
      -----------------------------------

This was in 2014.... and there are well well more then 5 tubs sidelined now.

Harding racing got series number 75. (Gabby posted a photo long ago when Harding first started up)

So, if the serial for Helio's car is above 75, it would stand to reason that its the first tub to win not from the 2012 batch.. which given the indications it came from Dragonspeed. There is a good chance.
      Where are the Indy 500 winning cars? Visit -> http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Comment

Originally posted by PaddockMoose View Post
        While nothing official has been posted, I have finally found the 2012 Winning Car driven by Dario Franchitti

The first clue was literally the first hint "in the clear" I have ever seen. Dario joking to Chip about wanting the #50 in his garage on his birthday two years from now.
        https://twitter.com/dariofranchitti/...75103312396290

This got me going, and I started digging into whatever twitter snippets of video I could found, and I found a brief snippet of the 50 bumper pod/karabashian from a car up on chips wall
        (I forget what those accursed things were called)

To back this up, within a couple days, I got an email "from a little birdie" confirming what I found.

"The winning bodywork was retired immediately, however the tub was campaigned at various events up until 2014. Instead of being fitted for racing with the aerokits, the car was retired in 2015 and restored to pretty much original state. It is in the usual CGR rotation with a multitude of other preserved cars for Lobby, Wall Rack, and Event show car duty."

2022 will be 10 years, so maybe we will see it surface with clear photos of it next year.

http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff
        I'm confused about this post, because the car is clearly on display at The Henry Ford Museum right now, alongside Pagenaud's 2019 winner: https://goo.gl/maps/jakWyjYpA3myNSLf9

Unless that's just a show car done up as the winner?

Comment

Originally posted by ACCP View Post

I'm confused about this post, because the car is clearly on display at The Henry Ford Museum right now, alongside Pagenaud's 2019 winner: https://goo.gl/maps/jakWyjYpA3myNSLf9

Giving them the benefit of the doubt as being the real ones
          How bizarre to see two Indy winners powered by Non-Ford engines in the Ford Museum.....

Even more confusing, there is also a picture of a Texaco Star #1 of Sneva, which sould be the 1984 car of Tom. But wasn't that one also within the IMS collection, together with the 1983 winner #5???

Comment

Originally posted by ACCP View Post

No confusion needed, the Twitter vid I found was a few years old.

Chip has an absolutely massive collection of cars going well back into the Cart days, he is known to shuttle them about. They go to various museums and events all the time.

They are ether in the Lobby of CGR (the lobby holds four cars)
            on one of four racks in the garage, each rack is 8 cars high,
            or they are loaned to various museums for short periods.

So I’d guess they are in Michigan for a bit. I will see if it’s some sorta temporary display. IMS museum has been known to loan cars from time to time. Penske racing does the same.

awesome, I would have never thought to look there, the 2012 car gets zero press about its location.

Comment

https://www.thehenryford.org/visit/h...ng-in-america/

That didn’t take long, some short term exhibit by GM

Comment

You've met David Donaldson????

Oh dear! 🤭

I should've realized he was an imposter! 🤣

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Ferner View Post

Oh dear! 🤭

I should've realized he was an imposter! 🤣

Actually, in a local radio show comedy hour they once had David Donaldson on the show......

Comment

The Museum of Science & Industry has a Lola T500 painted and displayed as Big Al's 1978 winner. I'm fairly certain that is not the car, but goes to show that there are imposter cars out there.
                    Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

Originally posted by Pelican Joe View Post
                      The Museum of Science & Industry has a Lola T500 painted and displayed as Big Al's 1978 winner. I'm fairly certain that is not the car, but goes to show that there are imposter cars out there.
                      Best joke of a car being a `Ringer` that I have read about is the suggestion that a lot of parts of the true 1959 winner ended up in the IMS Museum representation of the 1960 winner .....
                      Again, this is suggested to be the case, I'm not claiming this myself.

Also: I heard about no less than 3 different March 86C being dressed up as Big Al's '87 mount....

Comment

Originally posted by Pelican Joe View Post
                        Lots of them..

One of the replicas is for sale... and from the picture, it looks like it's sitting in the Unser museum

This is March 86C-03. The graphics scheme replicates Al Unser Sr. 1987 Indy 500 winning Penske March 86C. It is not the 1987 Indy winner. This is a complete rolling chassis, probably the most complete non-running March 86C out there. It was powered by a Cosworth Ford DFX engine which is not installed but goes with the car.

This car was originally delivered to Hemelgarn Racing in 1986. Hemelgarn drivers in 1986 were Jacques Villenueve and Scott Brayton. It was then purchased by Kent Baker in 1987. Baker entered the car for the 1988 Indy 500 with Phil Krueger at the wheel. Outgunned and underfunded they managed to qualify 15th and finished 8th earning them the Clint Brawner award for mechanical excellence. The car was entered again in 1989 with John Paul Jr driving. Paul Jr was bumped out of the field in the final minutes of qualifying.

You can buy it here. But.. this replica I get a lot of emails about.
                        https://indycompetition.com/indy-cars-champ-cars.html

Comment

Best joke of a car being a `Ringer` that I have read about is the suggestion that a lot of parts of the true 1959 winner ended up in the IMS Museum representation of the 1960 winner .....
                          Again, this is suggested to be the case, I'm not claiming this myself.

Also: I heard about no less than 3 different March 86C being dressed up as Big Al's '87 mount....
                          Oh, the 1928 winner in the museum is a ringer, too. It's actually closer to the 1926 winner.

https://www.oldracingcars.com/indy/miller/1926-2/ read entries for '2604' and '2615'.

Comment

There are definitely cars that are not "the" car. As I have mentioned previously the 1980 Chaparral is not "the" car.

Comment

Originally posted by PaddockMoose View Post

Lots of them..

One of the replicas is for sale... and from the picture, it looks like it's sitting in the Unser museum
                              There was another 1987 winner replica (a March 86C) that was put up for auction during the 2016 SVRA Brickyard weekend. Not sure of its heritage. It did, however, have the "race accurate" decals depicted. The all upper case "CUMMINS" on the right side and the mixed case "Cummins" on the left side. IIRC, the last I checked, the actual one at Penske doesn't depict it that way.

Interesting as many 86C that are still out there, I'm not aware of any that have been painted up as Rahal's 1986 winner. That said, the actual 86 winner is very intact.
                              Doctorindy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post

There was another 1987 winner replica (a March 86C) that was put up for auction during the 2016 SVRA Brickyard weekend. Not sure of its heritage. It did, however, have the "race accurate" decals depicted. The all upper case "CUMMINS" on the right side and the mixed case "Cummins" on the left side. IIRC, the last I checked, the actual one at Penske doesn't depict it that way.

Interesting as many 86C that are still out there, I'm not aware of any that have been painted up as Rahal's 1986 winner. That said, the actual 86 winner is very intact.

I suppose that the story of how 86C 022 ended up in becoming an Indy winner during its last minute second chance was more sensational and a bigger story then how 86C 013 won first time out.
                                Not mentioning the FourTimeWinner factor for 022.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X