1954 500 Radio Broadcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1954 500 Radio Broadcast

For those who don't have the two hour recording of the 1954 radio broadcast, the person who says he was the first to find and digitize it decades ago has posted his copy of it on his blog.

https://inches-per-second.blogspot.c...s-of-1952.html

What a great find! This was recorded from WJJD Chicago.

In looking that up, I discovered ABC ran a half-hour TV special of Indianapolis highlights on film, produced by WFBM and anchored by Tom Carnegie, that night at 8:30 p.m. ET. That would be a great discovery as well.
    Last edited by aracefan; 06-03-2021, 07:17 PM.

Comment

And he's posted the original source recording of the 1953 race as well. If you have this already, it's the same source copy but this person was the one who originally found it.

Comment

Originally posted by aracefan View Post
        What a great find! This was recorded from WJJD Chicago.

In looking that up, I discovered ABC ran a half-hour TV special of Indianapolis highlights on film, produced by WFBM and anchored by Tom Carnegie, that night at 8:30 p.m. ET. That would be a great discovery as well.
        Wow! WJJD! One of the few stations my junkyard bakelite AM tube radio would get.
        You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Paddon View Post
          And he's posted the original source recording of the 1953 race as well. If you have this already, it's the same source copy but this person was the one who originally found it.
          Link does not appear to take you to the 1953 broadcast.
          "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Should have put up the link to the blog entry and then the broadcast link will be there.

Turn on the reel to reel tape recorder. Take the tape out of the box. Put the empty reel on the right spindle, and the full reel on the left spindle. Wind the tape through the mechanisms - including the pinch rollers, the capstan and the rest. The tape is pressed against the heads and moves at a certain number of inches per second. Start the machine. And sometimes... if you're lucky... magic comes spilling out of the speakers. That magic is what I hope to share here.

Comment

Thanks Eric! Great Stuff!
              "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Thanks, Eric.
                Got both of ‘em.
                A shame the plug got pulled on ‘56 & ‘57 redo’s.
                “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
                I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
                I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

Originally posted by jandj View Post
                  Thanks, Eric.
                  Got both of ‘em.
                  A shame the plug got pulled on ‘56 & ‘57 redo’s.
                  and was pulled on complete 53 and 54 remaster as well. And a Mutual 51 release.

Last edited by lotuspoweredbyford; 06-22-2021, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Ouch. 51 Mutual would have been great to hear as well. Hope there's a chance that some day the project can be restarted.

I also I admit, would love to know if other Indy car radio broadcasts from the 70s to 90s, be they additional ones done by MRN or CART or the early years of IRL might ever be made available as well. MRN gave us just three (73 California 500, 79 Pocono 500 and 79 Michigan 125 second race) amidst all the NASCAR stuff and during COVID, the first two 96 IRL races were briefly on Soundcloud.

Comment

Originally posted by lotuspoweredbyford View Post

and was pulled on complete 53 and 54 remaster as well. And a Mutual 51 release.
                      At any rate many thanks to you, LPBF, for your involvement in making many of the previously "lost" radio broadcasts of the race available.

Comment

Originally posted by indyrjc View Post

At any rate many thanks to you, LPBF, for your involvement in making many of the previously "lost" radio broadcasts of the race available.
                        Thank you so much. I am glad I was there, even for a short time, to get that work done on preserving those important pieces of history.

I am going to continue my work preserving racing history just in a private capacity I believe. Current project involves the Racing Pictorial archive.

But again, thank you for the kindness and support from you and other TF members regarding the audio project. It’s one of those things when you do the work that you wonder if you’re making any kind of a difference.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X