RIP-Kevin Triplett has passed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP-Kevin Triplett has passed

Got word today that our friend Kevin Triplett has passed. Kevin was a member here but posted infrequently. He had his own website/blog and if you read his profile you will realize he was hip deep in racing history. Kevin was a great guy and I found him willing to share his knowledge of history. in fact he helped fill in some gaps on Jay Frank, the first AAA Stock Car champ. I don't know any details, just that he passed away. RIP Kevin.

Kevin Triplett's Racing History (triplettracehistory.blogspot.com)
    "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

This is truly awful news. He was very passionate and knowledgeable about racing history and always willing to share.
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

Originally posted by Belanger99 View Post
      Got word today that our friend Kevin Triplett has passed. Kevin was a member here but posted infrequently. He had his own website/blog and if you read his profile you will realize he was hip deep in racing history. Kevin was a great guy and I found him willing to share his knowledge of history. in fact he helped fill in some gaps on Jay Frank, the first AAA Stock Car champ. I don't know any details, just that he passed away. RIP Kevin.

Kevin Triplett's Racing History (triplettracehistory.blogspot.com)
      How sad that there has only been one reply prior to this. I heard the news the next morning. While I don't have the details, it was COVID related as he had been hospitalized since January battling the virus and its complications. It truly seemed he had improved enough to begin a lengthy recovery when word came in that he had passed.

Anyone not familiar with his work, or anyone that has any interest in open wheel racing history, should take a look at the link Belanger99 provided. Many interesting stories. These are not academic tomes, nor are they the tall tale riddled malarkey, they are just good, well-researched dives into deep and often obscure subjects about open wheel racing history.

Or purchase his ebook series, "Taking You Back", with many interesting chapters on open wheel racing history: https://www.amazon.com/Kevin-Triplet...0752941&sr=1-1 There are at least six volumes.

I was able to provide information for several of his stories, Jay Frank being one of them.
      "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Originally posted by JThur1 View Post
        How sad that there has only been one reply prior to this. I heard the news the next morning. While I don't have the details, it was COVID related as he had been hospitalized since January battling the virus and its complications. It truly seemed he had improved enough to begin a lengthy recovery when word came in that he had passed.

Anyone not familiar with his work, or anyone that has any interest in open wheel racing history, should take a look at the link Belanger99 provided. Many interesting stories. These are not academic tomes, nor are they the tall tale riddled malarkey, they are just good, well-researched dives into deep and often obscure subjects about open wheel racing history.

Or purchase his ebook series, "Taking You Back", with many interesting chapters on open wheel racing history: https://www.amazon.com/Kevin-Triplet...0752941&sr=1-1 There are at least six volumes.

I was able to provide information for several of his stories, Jay Frank being one of them.
        Thanks Jim. I suspected COVID was the reason as Kevin had been his usual active self up until late January. I was going to reach out to a mutual friend after I heard about his passing but hadn't made contact.

Kevin's work was always well researched and I found it well written.
        "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Belanger99 View Post

Thanks Jim. I suspected COVID was the reason as Kevin had been his usual active self up until late January. I was going to reach out to a mutual friend after I heard about his passing but hadn't made contact.

Kevin's work was always well researched and I found it well written.
          I concur Belanger. While I wasn't in contact with Kevin nearly as much as I should have been, or wished, I enjoyed discussing racing history with him. Whether it was Kelly Petillo's behavior and rap sheet or exchanging info on some obscure, overlooked driver or track, I always enjoyed it.

It's a shame his passing has gotten so little notice here. Just you, I and Pelican Joe
          "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Thanks for sharing the info on his ebook series. I just bought all 3 volumes available on Amazon and very much look forward to reading them.
            Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

Originally posted by Pelican Joe View Post

Thanks for sharing the info on his ebook series. I just bought all 3 volumes available on Amazon and very much look forward to reading them.
              That's great Pelican Joe. I can't help but wonder where the money goes now?

Kevin encouraged me to do the same, but two things stopped me: 1. That was his thing, I didn't want to interlope, and 2. I just can't see spending so much time researching and writing for so little financial return.

Comment

Haven't been on TF in a while. Been dealing with some health issues. Sorry to hear this news. Rest in Peace Kevin.
                Is it May yet?
                Take me back to a world gone away-James Pankow

Comment

Originally posted by frodo13 View Post
                  Haven't been on TF in a while. Been dealing with some health issues. Sorry to hear this news. Rest in Peace Kevin.
                  Sorry to hear of your health issues, frodo, all the best.

Comment

That's great Pelican Joe. I can't help but wonder where the money goes now?

Kevin encouraged me to do the same, but two things stopped me: 1. That was his thing, I didn't want to interlope, and 2. I just can't see spending so much time researching and writing for so little financial return.
                    To give context, since context matters, 99.9% of what I have done has been a labor of love. Most of what I still do is a labor of love. Unfortunately, I've had to make a living, or something resembling it. And U.S. auto racing history doesn't pay the bills, as much as I wish it did. There are few publications left, and even fewer people left to talk to, which makes it rather impossible to do these stories now.

Kevin's ebook approach is fine, and a great way to get info out about obscure subjects, but I have a hard time getting paid pennies on the dollar per story when individual stories of this kind used to net three digit dollar amounts. There's a point where "labor of love" only goes so far.

Despite all of this, and especially with Kevin's passing, I might assemble some form of ebook just to get some of this information out into the world, where it can be ignored in place of persistent errors passed down through books and magazines cited at Wikipedia
                    Last edited by JThur1; 05-23-2021, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X