Early IRL questions (1996)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early IRL questions (1996)

I have a few early IRL questions that I wouk like to ask. All questions are 1996

1) why was Pagan Reynard White with yellow Chevrons, almost as if somebody repainted ex marlboro car?

2) where can I find Scandia logo. The one with yellow line over it

3) How many cars Menard had? What happened to car Cheever crashed in WDW? Paul Page said it was crashed beyond repair. But I beleive Mark Dismore drove it at Indy500

4) where can I find the pictures of Tempero Giffone Car that Joe Gosek attempted to qualify.

5) Scott Brayton qualified #2 car that was full yellow with red sidepods, but he crashed #32 yellow with Green sidepods. Ongais drove #32 in the race. Why didn't he drove #2

6) Tony Stewart usually drove yellow #20 with red Glidden sidepods. But on the race day he drove #20 yellow with Green Quaker State sidepods. Was it sponsor deal. Or simply lack of parts due to crashes do only Green sidepods were left. Like his Green nose cone at WDW

Originally posted by aston View Post
    5) Scott Brayton qualified #2 car that was full yellow with red sidepods, but he crashed #32 yellow with Green sidepods. Ongais drove #32 in the race. Why didn't he drove #2
    There are some questions as to the numbering of the Menards cars in 1996. That year, across the entire field, the league didn't use "T's" or "X's"...each car...primary or backup...had unique numbers. The "real" entry number is typically listed with a small digit on the roll bar. Brayton originally qualified car #2, then withdrew that car. He requalified and took the pole with car #32, a team backup.

It stands to reason that prior to race day, Menard was likely going to submit a request to renumber the pole winning car to #2, so on race day Brayton would be using the #2 instead of #32. Those sorts of re-number requests were not uncommon back then. IIRC, the day-after front row/pole position photos taken on Sunday morning show #2 on the car...which they probably just swapped the decals out for the photo shoot....suggesting they indeed were planning to re-number the pole car to #2 for race day, and wanted the photos to look right.

On Friday, Brayton crashed in car #23...a different Menards team backup. After the crash, the team decided not to change numbers on the pole winning car..and Ongais drove it in the race carrying #32.
    Doctorindy.com

Comment

All I know is we showed up for WDW to find a 1991 Lola inside a Pace American, towed by a think it was an F-350, in the hotel parking lot across the street from us. First thought was, "man, we really are going back to the good old days". Car was purple and turquoise, number 96 in gold leaf. Turns out it was a show car. But it still looked bad fast, even without a motor in it.
      The Castle of Speed

Comment

Tony, being the 3rd entry early in 1996, had the yellow/green design to differentiate it from Cheever and Brayton. When Scotty passed away, Tony became the de facto #1 driver, being on pole after all. So they redecorated his car in the Glidden colors and dressed the 32 car more like Tony's car had been.

I'm not sure what the whole story was with Pagan but his 1999 entry for Jeff Ward was painted like a Penske car early that May. Then they repainted the car purple and yellow for the race. I don't know if it was a tribute, or playfully poking fun at their absence.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveK51 View Post
          I'm not sure what the whole story was with Pagan but his 1999 entry for Jeff Ward was painted like a Penske car early that May. Then they repainted the car purple and yellow for the race. I don't know if it was a tribute, or playfully poking fun at their absence.
          There were rumors about Marlboro, but everyone new they were leaving Team Penske. Hopeful thinking by some.

Comment

Tony, being the 3rd entry early in 1996, had the yellow/green design to differentiate it from Cheever and Brayton. When Scotty passed away, Tony became the de facto #1 driver, being on pole after all. So they redecorated his car in the Glidden colors and dressed the 32 car more like Tony's car had been.

Tony drove all yellow glidden at WDW. His and Brayton's colors were the same at WDW

And I beleive Phoenix too, but not 100% sure

Comment

Scott Brayton dying at the onset of the IRL was even sadder because in Menard equipment he was looking at probably winning his first Indy car race at some point in 96 or 97. He was going to win one.
              The Castle of Speed

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post

There are some questions as to the numbering of the Menards cars in 1996. That year, across the entire field, the league didn't use "T's" or "X's"...each car...primary or backup...had unique numbers. The "real" entry number is typically listed with a small digit on the roll bar. Brayton originally qualified car #2, then withdrew that car. He requalified and took the pole with car #32, a team backup.

It stands to reason that prior to race day, Menard was likely going to submit a request to renumber the pole winning car to #2, so on race day Brayton would be using the #2 instead of #32. Those sorts of re-number requests were not uncommon back then. IIRC, the day-after front row/pole position photos taken on Sunday morning show #2 on the car...which they probably just swapped the decals out for the photo shoot....suggesting they indeed were planning to re-number the pole car to #2 for race day, and wanted the photos to look right.

On Friday, Brayton crashed in car #23...a different Menards team backup. After the crash, the team decided not to change numbers on the pole winning car..and Ongais drove it in the race carrying #32.
                1996 would have been so much easier to follow the cars if they would have made the roll hoop numbers more prominent or rejected all bids to renumber the cars. As if chasing the Menard cars wasn't confusing enough, try to follow the Treadway/Luyendyk saga of the opening week between cars "5" and "35". The team renumbered them the night before Pole Day, and then with all the issues with the blown engine/gearbox issue, disallowed runs, backup, blah blah, THAT is confusing to figure out what car was actually run when, which car is the official track record holder and which car is the unofficial track record holder.
                --Paul Dalbey
                (the poster formerly known as 'pdalbey')

Different men, from vastly different backgrounds, focused on the same goal – a white line painted on a yard of brick 500 miles ahead.

http://Fieldof33.com

Comment

Tony drove all yellow glidden at WDW. His and Brayton's colors were the same at WDW

And I beleive Phoenix too, but not 100% sure
                  Tony had a Glidden car with a Quaker State nose at Disney. At Phoenix and the early part of May, he had Glidden colors down the center of the car with Quaker State sidepods and wings.

Comment

1) why was Pagan Reynard White with yellow Chevrons, almost as if somebody repainted ex marlboro car?
                    If you look at the Pennzoil and Marlboro cars side-by-side, they don't line up, so it was probably just coincidence. You may recall the Pagan car started the season all-white with "Newscast" on the sidepods, then added a little yellow for the Pennzoil logo on the engine cover. When Pennzoil went primary, they retained the white car, just adding even more yellow. I'd believe it if you told me that was to save money on a full yellow livery. :P
                    Scott Speed was third fastest in FP2 at the 2007 French Grand Prix.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Speed View Post

If you look at the Pennzoil and Marlboro cars side-by-side, they don't line up, so it was probably just coincidence. You may recall the Pagan car started the season all-white with "Newscast" on the sidepods, then added a little yellow for the Pennzoil logo on the engine cover. When Pennzoil went primary, they retained the white car, just adding even more yellow. I'd believe it if you told me that was to save money on a full yellow livery. :P
                      Perhaps it was to save weight

Anyway I'm really fascinated by those early IRL liveries.

Comment

Tony had a Glidden car with a Quaker State nose at Disney. At Phoenix and the early part of May, he had Glidden colors down the center of the car with Quaker State sidepods and wings.
                        I beleive green nosecone at WDW was because he crashed yellow one and they didn't have another yellow.

Comment

Post #8 gets into numbers placement. The current car is ridiculous in this regard. The proper place for the "side" numbers is on the rear wheel fairing. It would be easier to see and look good, too. There are plenty of these with no sponsor logos and some decals at best. And the fact liveries change from race to race for many of the teams makes it even harder to follow. To show you how clueless IndyCar has been over the years, some time back, fans were complaining about it and an official who will go nameless because that individual is WAY up there, said the fans could spot who was who by helmet paint schemes. Helmet paint schemes. Those change like underwear, too, but no matter. And that certainly would not work now.

If they had a lick of sense and actually care about the fans as they claim, but they really do not and take for granted, they would have the numbers on the fairings, the nose, and the driver surname on the windscreen decal. Boom. There you go. Done deal.

Since almost all the leadership and powers-that-be are former CART cats, they still are tone deaf on this and there has always been a "we are too cool for school" mentality that has resulted in the net gain of how many fans? Six, seven? Oh, don't forget the new fan from Pacoima and that one guy from Cedar Rapids who's kid likes Indy cars. So that's about 9 fans. And all nine new fans have trouble discerning who is who out there because of the DAMNN NUMBER PLACEMENT Indycar!!! Even the announcers on radio and TV struggle with it. But you just keep on being cool now......
                          The Castle of Speed

Comment

The 1999 entry was sponsored by Yahoo!!

Comment

Originally posted by MDCSWildcats86 View Post

The 1999 entry was sponsored by Yahoo!!
                              Who first tried out their livery on a "race car", allegedly, on a Formula Virage car at the Redwood City Malibu Grand Prix.
                              The Castle of Speed

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X