Paul Page Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Page Book

I had found out from here that Paul Page had written a book that was available for pre-order on Amazon with a release date of May 1. That has now gone by and the book is now listed as "out of print" on Amazon's listing. That's usually a sign that whatever publication arrangement for it has fallen through, but I hope that's not the case since I was looking forward to seeing it (more than Oreovicz's book on the split)

The indycar radio broadcast of Barber featured an ad for the book, recorded by Bob Jenkins. So with nothing else to go on, I would assume the book is still proceeding as planned? Barnes & Noble is showing it as temporarily out of stock, but my pre-order as due to ship in a week.

Comment

Had my dream come true, I would have succeeded Paul Page as the Voice of Indy Cars on TV/radio.

I can't wait to read his book.

Comment

A "temporarily out of stock" listing for a book just as we were about to hit its publication date is not a good sign. That usually means some kind of snag has developed because I've seen that kind of listing go up on other things (books, DVD releases) that didn't come off on their planned date.

Comment

Could it be a small first printing, and all that are allocated to Amazon are sold out?
          "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

The problem is the price listing has also disappeared and you don't have option to order it again for an "out of stock" title which is what usually happens. And those of us who pre-ordered this some time ago shouldn't have been left out of the mix if there had been copies available to send out. Sometimes it is possible for a title that is pulled back at the last second to see some copies slip out to those who had pre-ordered, but when that happens it's a mistake.

I didn't think it was a good sign when I noticed the book had no Kindle option either when I saw the listing originally (though Oreovicz's book I'd note doesn't give a Kindle option either), but having seen my share of cancelled titles before go through something like this, I'm inclined to be pessimistic until we see or hear an official kind of update on what the deal is because I know I'd love to read it (especially since I just ordered as a backup, another used copy of Sid Collins's posthumously published autobio)

Comment

Paul Page is on the radio right now and from what he's saying, things are proceeding according to plan regarding book distribution.

Comment

That's good to know. It may be that Amazon was premature in putting up a May 1 publication date.

Comment

Paul Page was as significant a "Voice" of the Indianapolis 500 as Sid Collins was. He was to the 1980's what Sid was to the 50's-60's-70's. Both personified the event, made it seem larger than life, and transcended it from a sporting event into something uniquely cultural in America in those decades. All by keying that mic and bringing the events before them to life in their own special way. For NASCAR, see Ken Squier and Ned Jarret. These icons brought non-racing ears and eyeballs to the sport and have as much to do with the ascension of both forms of racing into true mainstream relevance, albeit relatively short-lived in the general scheme of things, as virtually anything that contributed to the rise. Subsequent Voices of the Indy 500, while all very good, inherited something Sid and Paul built that cannot ever be replicated. Likewise, with Ken and Ned.

Paul Page had the perfect delivery and annunciation. Mark Jaynes is a shouter. He shouts the race like he is chewing out a football team in the locker room. It is hard to listen to. But he is still good and better than Leigh Diffey by 500 miles.

I look forward to the book.
                  The Castle of Speed

Comment

Originally posted by Count Tracula View Post

Paul Page had the perfect delivery and annunciation. Mark Jaynes is a shouter. He shouts the race like he is chewing out a football team in the locker room. It is hard to listen to. But he is still good and better than Leigh Diffey by 500 miles.
                    It's tough to be compared with a legend like Paul Page, but I think Mark Jaynes does an excellent job calling an IndyCar race.

His voice does have a unique sound to it, but the only other TF member whom I recall describing his delivery the way you have was Defender

Comment

Originally posted by Ken-Paul View Post

It's tough to be compared with a legend like Paul Page, but I think Mark Jaynes does an excellent job calling an IndyCar race.

His voice does have a unique sound to it, but the only other TF member whom I recall describing his delivery the way you have was Defender
                      I hear shouting. A lot of it. But yes, he is good. He is exceptional in fact. But he shouts too much.
                      The Castle of Speed

Comment

I thought Paul did a great job on the radio, but was not as wild about his TV presence. It's probably the result of the different format and crew make up but preferred him on the radio. Of course I remember him doing traffic on WIBC too.

Comment

Originally posted by Count Tracula View Post

I hear shouting. A lot of it. But yes, he is good. He is exceptional in fact. But he shouts too much.
                          Agreed.
                          He’s just an excitable boy.
                          “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
                          I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
                          I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X