Rutherford has had a good life "except for losing Betty"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rutherford has had a good life "except for losing Betty"

Bless his heart. I can't imagine losing my wife.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports...250947884.html

I've seen what he describes with Betty with both of my parents. It's a terrible thing to witness as the people you love no longer become the people you've known.

Comment

He looks great!!
      "We are all speeding toward our deaths at 60 minutes an hour." Sid Collins on Race Day, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Paddon View Post
        I've seen what he describes with Betty with both of my parents. It's a terrible thing to witness as the people you love no longer become the people you've known.
        Yup.

Saw it with mom.

Dad lasted 99 days without mom.

Good article. Good guy.

Did anyone not like JR when he was driving?
        Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post

Yup.

Saw it with mom.

Dad lasted 99 days without mom.

Good article. Good guy.

Gordy Johncock did not like him.
          The Castle of Speed

Comment

Yeah, they went through a running into each other stage in the mid 1970s.

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
              Gordon Johncock not liking Rutherford is quite an understatement, Count

To say Dick Simon was a tad upset with him at Texas one year would also be a bit of an understatement. "That's racin'"

Johnny wasn't exactly popular with a few of his fellow drivers on track.
              "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Saw an interesting tidbit a few years ago. Foyt's off-track reputation was one of a bully, but he had a positive reputation on the track among the drivers. Rutherford's reputation was stellar off the track, but some drivers viewed him as a bully on the track.

Anyway, I think a lot of water has passed under the bridge where even his detractors appreciate and respect his accomplishments.

Comment

Reminds me of my grandmother and her Alzheimer's. Last time I saw her, not too long before she died, she looked at me and said "I think I've seen you somewhere before" She and my Grandfather were 2 months shy of their 70th wedding anniversary when she passed

Comment

Originally posted by senorsoupe View Post
                    Reminds me of my grandmother and her Alzheimer's. Last time I saw her, not too long before she died, she looked at me and said "I think I've seen you somewhere before" She and my Grandfather were 2 months shy of their 70th wedding anniversary when she passed
                    Similar to the last time I saw my grandmother around 1991.

She was in a home and I went to visit.

I was just some person interrupting her evening of sitting there staring at the walls.

The visit awful for one of us and unimportant for the other.

I never went back.
                    Live like Dave

Comment

It's a tough road for a racing icon. I hope he keeps hanging in there.

It sounds like JR had an extremely aggressive, no-quarter style that won him few friends while he was active. From a 1982 Rick Mears interview in SPORT magazine, "The image of A.J. is that he's the tough guy and Rutherford is the All-American boy, but on the track, Foyt is very smooth. Rutherford? I always give him an extra car width."
                      "Thank God for the fortune to be here, to be an American."--Alan Kulwicki, 11/15/92

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X