1967 short film about the Turbine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1967 short film about the Turbine

Funny how he went from the loudest cars at Indy with the Novis to the quietest car in the turbine.

Comment

They were so down after the race, rightfully so, but they can be proud they created a car that trounced everyone else for 495 miles. Why didn't they just put an Offy in it for the next year's race? What did happen to that car?
      “Church supper with grandma and granddad, lets go out and have ourselves the best time we ever had" - John Mellencamp

Comment

Originally posted by Oddy View Post
        They were so down after the race, rightfully so, but they can be proud they created a car that trounced everyone else for 495 miles. Why didn't they just put an Offy in it for the next year's race? What did happen to that car?
        Why put an Offy in it? The engine wasn't the problem. They entered it alongside the Lotus 56s the next year, but it crashed in practice (Joe Leonard, i think) and they never ran it again, and it went to the Smithsonian. Then, due to the misfortunes suffered by the Team Lotus drivers who were supposed to drive the 56s that year (Jim Clark and Mike Spence were both killed), AG and Chapman put Leonard and Art Pollard in the 56s alongside team driver Graham Hill.
        "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

I didn't know it crashed in practice, I thought it never ran again. But didn't the inlet limitation for turbines make it too slow? That's why I bring up the Offy.
          “Church supper with grandma and granddad, lets go out and have ourselves the best time we ever had" - John Mellencamp

Comment

Didn't make the Lotus 56s too slow. It wasn't power that made these cars fast-by then, the Offy and Ford were as powerful or better, and turbocharged versions of those were making their debut as well-it was the fact that the turbine engines' light weight made it possible to cram in AWD systems that made the cars handle better. Both the Granatelli turbine and the Lotus 56s gave up straight line speed to the more powerful reciprocating-engine cars, but carried more speed through the corners than the others because their AWD systems gave them so much more grip.

Looks like they did try to change the shape of the inlet though. (This shows Parnelli in the car and Clark in the 56 during testing; sadly, Clark doesn't have long to live in this pic).

2e1242b7f8d0938f3080692ce8f0f56c.jpg
            Last edited by Sea Fury; 04-27-2021, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Granatelli said it in his book - they were legislated out of existence. Here's an article:

STP Turbine Cars of the Indy 500 - Petrolicious Feature (roadandtrack.com)

"After 1968, the governing body at Indianapolis regulated the turbine cars into oblivion, and the Brickyard finally ceased to be the engine of racing's creativity."
              "The Internet. Where fools go to feel important" - Sir Charles Barkley

Comment

I believe the last turbine car to try was a pointy Allison 250-powered car in 1970. I'm at work right now but I have a book at home with a picture of it. LOOOOONG nose on it.

And of course there was the Shelby car that never qualified.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Fury View Post
                  I believe the last turbine car to try was a pointy Allison 250-powered car in 1970. I'm at work right now but I have a book at home with a picture of it. LOOOOONG nose on it.

And of course there was the Shelby car that never qualified.
                  The last turbine to run was the Jack Adams turbine in 1971, driven by Rick Muther. Jigger Sirois tried it 1970 , but neither came close. Al Miller drove a really bizarre looking turbine designed by Glenn Bryant, a professor in the aerophysics department at Mississippi State in 1969. It qualified 6 mph to slow.
                  My hovercraft is full of eels.

Comment

I think it's Jigger's car I was thinking of.

tumblr_m4or2hnEzM1r2dcdfo1_1280.png

Comment

So did the inlet size limit change from 67 to 68, or after 68? Or both?

Comment

Both.
                        The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

No it didn't make the 56's too slow, they had advanced the suspension and obviously aerodynamics of the 56 beyond "silent Sam", thus my comment the 67 car needed more HP. Also IIRC, Shelby produced a blatant copy of silent Sam in 68, along with trying to cheat the inlet rule, and it didn't go too well.

Comment

IIRC, the inlet annulus limit was 18 sq. in. in '67, reduced to 15 for '68, then the nail in the coffin after '68, where It was Chapman's 56 more than the turbine methinks, to only 13 sq. in. which just wasn't enuff "breath" to be competitive.

Bottom line is, they never wanted them in the first place anyway.......
                            "Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end....."

jimclark

Comment

Jigger told me a Firestone engineer said he had the 4th fastest corner speeds, the turbine just didn’t have straight line speed.
                              “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
                              I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
                              I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X