HOW Sponsor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW Sponsor?

In the 1960's, I double check the years Mari Hulman George owned a car for her husband, apparently the sponsor was mentioned as HOW?

Anything you older fans know for this relative newby, since 1986...

Mari Hulman and family friend Roger Walcott owned HOW, ran from the mid 50’s until about 1963.
    Mari liked to joke it stood for “Hell on Wheels”.
    “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
    I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
    I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

I know one of you guys would answer, I did an internet search for acronym but couldn't find anything.

I thought it could have been one of her television/radio stations that they were associated with, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks.

Comment

I always heard it as, "The H is for Hulman, the W is for Wolcott, and the O is so people can ask what HOW means".
        You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Funny!

Comment

Originally posted by JSJLW View Post
            In the 1960's, I double check the years Mari Hulman George owned a car for her husband, apparently the sponsor was mentioned as HOW?

Anything you older fans know for this relative newby, since 1986...
            As already mentioned H.O.W. was the racing team owned by Mari Hulman George. H was for Hulman, O was for Judge George Ober, and W was for Roger Wolcott. Ober was a close friend and one of the original founders of the United States Auto Club with Tony Hulman helping to get the whole operation off of the ground. There was also an large old building in downtown Indianapolis called the Ober Building that was named for earlier members of Ober's family. H.O.W. Racing was based on the grounds of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in the buildings at the southeast end of the property near the old large barn that you see on 16th Street. I'm not sure what goes on there now but for years after H.O.W. the building became the restoration shop for the IMS Museum.

Into the 1990s there was a mailbox right next to 16th Street with H.O.W Racing painted on the side. At some point a car slid into it on a snowy night and broke it off. It was never replaced.

Comment

Interesting story.

Comment

JSJLW

Interesting question. I’m glad I opened this thread.

Comment

Elmer was an OK Driver, he had some decent Top 10 Runs, a Win a Syracuse.

And that was just his Champ Car Stats, someone else needs to go into his Sprint/Midget stats.

I have a feeling Elmer had some "issues" personally for his Prominent Wife to run his career instead of him making one somewhere else?

I know he had issues later in life.

Comment

Elmer won USAC Sprint car races on “the hills” of Winchester, Salem, Dayton and was the 1957 USAC Midwest Champion. He is also in the National Sprint Car Hall Of Fame. Elmer was no slouch in a sprint car.

Comment

My bad I re-read the story of Elmer, he was killed by a gentleman after going to his house the morning after the 500.

Apparently he and Mari just got divorced and he suspected she had another boyfriend a Horse Trainer...

I remembered hearing a story of how Elmer died, but I forgot what happened.

Comment

I saw him win a sprint car race at Williams Grove in 1958. Also he was leading the Langhorne 100 in 1959. Then had a right rear tire smoking badly. USAC black Flagged him. Elmer took exception and Punched out Tommy Nicolson, the head USAC official , and was canned for a year.
                        "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
                        body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
                        "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
                        >

Comment

I never heard of a guy doing something like that to a USAC/CART/AAA Official...

I think A.J. might have had a few occasions where he ALMOST did something like this, but something stopped him from doing it, except when he nearly got banned from NASCAR, got Black Flagged after an incident with Kulwicki, came out went after Kulwicki's car with his, then he was Black Flagged AGAIN, he went nearly hit several NASCAR Officials while speeding with his car...That was nearly Vechicial Homicide...They threw a Third Black Flag...He spun the car out going into the garage.

A.J. was suspended for the rest of the year, he was lucky no one pressed any charges against the guy!

Last edited by JSJLW; 04-18-2021, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JSJLW View Post
                            My bad I re-read the story of Elmer, he was killed by a gentleman after going to his house the morning after the 500.

Apparently he and Mari just got divorced and he suspected she had another boyfriend a Horse Trainer...

I remembered hearing a story of how Elmer died, but I forgot what happened.
                            That's the expurgated version. There is a lot more, a whole lot more to that story.
                            "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

That was the basic version I got from Wikipedia.

There are some good guys on YouTube that do docs and such, wonder if Elmer would make a decent story.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X