Speedway White Castle - Back in the Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedway White Castle - Back in the Day

Thought I'd post this here. History's The Foods that Built America recently featured White Castle and how it popularized the hamburger. The picture below was shown a couple of times. Note not just Andy's smooch of Mario, but the sign on the window. I thought it was pretty cool, even though I can't stand White Castle.

white castle.jpg
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Newspaper says it shuttered in 1991

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/75626797/
    Doctorindy.com

Comment

(sigh)

The Speedway and Sliders. The two just go together.
      You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post
        Newspaper says it shuttered in 1991

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/75626797/
        Thanks for the link to the Star. Per the article, the old White Castle was on leased property since '69. I would have thought it was there longer than that based on some of the comments over the years.
        It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski View Post
          (sigh)

The Speedway and Sliders. The two just go together.
          You are my homeboy Jamski, but nothing goes together with anything off a White Castle grill.

🤮
          Live like Dave

Comment

Shakey's Pizza was another that was close by the speedway back in the 60's I believe

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post

You are my homeboy Jamski, but nothing goes together with anything off a White Castle grill.

🤮
              Not even Charmin and Pepto?
              Tibi Fumus Obsidio Septum Doro

Comment

Originally posted by Tifositoo View Post

Not even Charmin and Pepto?
                Got me there.

Theres always an exception.
                Live like Dave

Comment

You guys. Seriously.

Now, Sliders and Shakeys...WOWSA!!!

This is how I've managed to live so long despite everything life has thrown at me. Good nutrition!
                  You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

That particular White Castle plays a prominent part in one of my favorite childhood memories. My dad took me to the 1970 State Fair Century, 100 mile USAC stock car race at the Indy fairgrounds that August. About the only things I remember from the race are AJ spinning out Bay Darnell (Bay held him up for several laps and finally AJ had had enough), and Jack Bowsher doing a barrel roll down the back straight fence and taking down 100 feet of canvas. After the race we stopped at the Speedway White Castle for a snack before heading back to Bloomington. Sliders never tasted so good, before or since.

Comment

When I was younger sliders and Colt 45 went well together, albeit very briefly.

Comment

I noticed that billboard, too, while watching. I am fascinated by The Food that Built America series and have watched every one. The other two series about the cars and the men that built America are extremely interesting as well.

I never heard of White Castle until I went to Speedway in the early 70s and saw the one by the track.

Do they really not taste very good? Kinda hard to screw up a hamburger, but Burger King and Carl’s somehow manages IMHO.
                        "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
                        "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
                        "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

I remember them being delicious*, and even more delicious while drunk and/or stoned. It's been awhile since I've had one but I can't imagine the recipe has changed.

They can be the cause of, and solution to, any gastrointestinal ills.

*I always got them without pickles, if that matters

Comment

The Wild Cherry was right there in the same area as the White Castle. I'm sure that led to some interesting and unfortunate combinations. Sliders and Skanks at 16th and Georgetown.
                            "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Gone since 91? Dang I'm old. White Castle tasted best and was the most entertaining about 2:30 am.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X