Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indianapolis 500 Rookie Orientation Program

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by DaveL View Post

    Yeah, I don't know what making Helio do a "refresher" actually accomplishes. Back in the day, rookies had to do refreshers at Indy even if they already started and competed in 500s at Ontario and Pocono. Just what they were testing is beyond me.
    Last year (and this year too) the refresher tests did make a little bit of sense. As the part-timers were making perhaps their first laps ever in the car at IMS with the new aeroscreen. Giving them them track time to acclimate to what was a pretty big change was warranted.

    I see the desire for that little extra reserved track time (e.g., the "minimum 25 laps at speed" suggestion during, say, a 2 hour rookie/refresher session). But the strict adherence to the rather arbitrary Phase test speed intervals is what appears antiquated.
    Doctorindy.com

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post
      I see the desire for that little extra reserved track time (e.g., the "minimum 25 laps at speed" suggestion during, say, a 2 hour rookie/refresher session). But the strict adherence to the rather arbitrary Phase test speed intervals is what appears antiquated.
      I agree. No problem with a stand alone practice session for certain drivers to acclimated, that makes sense.
      The Ayn Rand of Indycar

      No one had to badge the Offy.

      Crapping all over threads since 2000.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post

        Last year (and this year too) the refresher tests did make a little bit of sense. As the part-timers were making perhaps their first laps ever in the car at IMS with the new aeroscreen. Giving them them track time to acclimate to what was a pretty big change was warranted.

        I see the desire for that little extra reserved track time (e.g., the "minimum 25 laps at speed" suggestion during, say, a 2 hour rookie/refresher session). But the strict adherence to the rather arbitrary Phase test speed intervals is what appears antiquated.
        Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't there some vets who may have asked to be part of ROP, in order to get some extra laps in (and perhaps shakedown a new car or new team) under the guise of needing a refresher? Maybe I am remembering wrong....
        "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

        John Kennedy at American University 1963

        "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

        A. Lincoln

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Belanger99 View Post

          Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't there some vets who may have asked to be part of ROP, in order to get some extra laps in (and perhaps shakedown a new car or new team) under the guise of needing a refresher? Maybe I am remembering wrong....
          In 1986 Steve Bren went through ROP not because there was any intention of him trying to make the race, but to get more laps to test the Buick engine. Can't recall the team that did it off the top of my head. I'd have to look it up.
          The Ayn Rand of Indycar

          No one had to badge the Offy.

          Crapping all over threads since 2000.

          Comment


          • #20
            According to the current rulebook:


            4.3.2.6 Refresher Tests - An applicant, including, without limitation, a Driver who has not participated as a Driver in any NTT INDYCAR SERIES on-Track Event during the past six (6) months, may be required to successfully complete a refresher test. In lieu of a refresher test, INDYCAR may require an applicant to successfully complete ROP.

            That rule appears to be for any race during the season. And it does say "may be required"


            As for Indy specifically...

            4.3.2.9.7 Refresher Test – If a Driver has not participated in an oval Event in the NTT INDYCAR SERIES since the prior year’s Indianapolis 500® Mile Race, INDYCAR will determine if any additional testing shall be required. In addition to Car control, placement and interaction with other Cars on-Track to the satisfaction of INDYCAR, the refresher test consists of the 30 laps that make up the second and third phases of the ROP. No such Driver will be eligible for a Qualifications attempt prior to completing the refresher test.


            So the rule say a veteran Refresher Test is needed for a driver that has not participated in an oval IndyCar Series race since the previous year's Indy 500. But they seem to limit it to just part-time or Indy-only drivers. Because with as few ovals as they have, what if there wasn't an oval between then and now? (i.e., if Texas hadn't been moved to May)

            A Refresher also gets 2 additional sets of tires (a rookie gets 3)...for use during the tests. That's valuable. For many veterans, it seems it's just an extra session of track time. Two extra hours to collect data.
            Doctorindy.com

            Comment


            • #21
              Those rules leave a lot of wiggle room and discretion.

              I did my research, Bren went through ROP for the Interscope team in 1986. I was pretty sure but y'all know me, I don't like to post anything without getting my ducks in a row first.
              The Ayn Rand of Indycar

              No one had to badge the Offy.

              Crapping all over threads since 2000.

              Comment

              Unconfigured Ad Widget

              Collapse
              Working...
              X