Bob Riley's hub centerline suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Riley's hub centerline suspension

I always liked Bob Riley's hub centerline suspension which he put originally on the front of the 1973 Coyote and later on the Wildcats.

Are there any close up photos that show what that design actually looked like? I've seen the usual whole car photos and know generally what it looks like but am curious to know how he actually did it. No photos or drawings in his autobiography, unfortunately. I'm surprised it wasn't more copied--particularly on things like Formula Fords. I suppose once ground effects became the thing in Indy Car instead of aero drag that it wasn't such an advantage.

Thanks for any info.

This might help a little. Somewhere I have a couple of photos of the hub assembly but this one had to be blown up and got blurry.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I've, got the 74 Riley,, English Leather Special , both the front and rear suspension are hub height. Front is rocker, pivoting at hub height, the inboard spring shock mtd @ 45 degrees . The rear is lower links are mtd to the LG500 and the bottom of the rear upright, the upper link is at hub height. I I can send you photos of the suspension and uprights if you want, I've never been able to post photos on this site. The tub is 9 1/2 inches high, so most of the mounting points are at or below hub height.

Comment

Originally posted by indyrjc View Post
        This might help a little. Somewhere I have a couple of photos of the hub assembly but this one had to be blown up and got blurry.
        Thanks for the photo. I think I see how the front upright is designed. The rocker has spherical joint at the outer end and there must be spacers on the top and bottom to pick up the cylindrical part of the bearing holder for the stub axle. I think that's what I'm seeing. It's a neat design and must have been pretty light.

Comment

The front upright was a fabricated piece that was as you described and was also used on the Lightnings of the same era.

Comment

Top of the wishbone connects to the hub at the center-line height of the hub. When chassis frontal height were low and flat.

1978 Lightning Front.jpg
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X