Incoming -- A new book on the split by John Oreovicz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oddy View Post

Did RP do an Indy only attempt first like Ganassi or did he just switch series? Wasn't it RP that opened the flood gates?
    He had some backing on Leffler's car in '00 IIRC.
    http://www.honorflight.org/

Comment

Originally posted by RacingPortaJohn View Post
      Here’s Dave Despain’s take from 1991...starts at about the 48 minute mark

The first thing that Tony George says is that there are 13-17 entries for Milwaukee.

That race had 21 starters and Buddy Lazier failing to qualify.

"We don't have a bunch of people beating on the door." -Three years later, there were 24 entries that turned up to every single race, plus Lazier who turned up to all bar 2 (and scored zero points), Ross Bentley to all but three, and another three that turned up to half-a-dozen.

There was obviously a problem with cost increase. But lying about it before even the start is not the way to go.
      "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

Dave hits it on the head at 54:20, CART's MO was all about what was best for the few wealthy owners.
        I'll see YOU at the races!

Comment

Did RP do an Indy only attempt first like Ganassi or did he just switch series? Wasn't it RP that opened the flood gates?
          2001 was Indy only, dare I mention the question: Remember who was the CART Champion that year?
          Or is this question blaspehmy?

Comment

Originally posted by Indyote View Post

2001 was Indy only, dare I mention the question: Remember who was the CART Champion that year?
            Or is this question blaspehmy?
            RP ran Phoenix prior to the 500 that year.
            http://www.honorflight.org/

Comment

Originally posted by RacingPortaJohn View Post

RP ran Phoenix prior to the 500 that year.
              I stand corrected, you are right.
              Thanks for pointing this out.

I should have thought about Penske taking up the project serious enough to do enough preparations in advance, including racing the cars before Indy to get a better idea about them.
              My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Indyote View Post

I stand corrected, you are right.
                Thanks for pointing this out.

I should have thought about Penske taking up the project serious enough to do enough preparations in advance, including racing the cars before Indy to get a better idea about them.
                My bad.
                But the whole point of Phoenix was preparation for Indy, not to join the IRL, so I'd consider that Indy only.
                “Church supper with grandma and granddad, lets go out and have ourselves the best time we ever had" - John Mellencamp

Comment

But the whole point of Phoenix was preparation for Indy, not to join the IRL, so I'd consider that Indy only.
                  Thanks, I largely share your opinion.
                  But nevertheless, my comment that it was Indy only isn't correct to the finest detail. I had overlooked that Phoenix outing and credit when credit is due, RacingPortaJon is correct with mentioning this to correct me. And I am more than capable to admit that I stand corrected in this.

Bo be honest, I wonder how many readers of these posts never realized that outing at Phoenisx at all. Good chance that many readers have learned something they had all but forgotten of they ever knew about it.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X