X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is a review from speedreaders.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobcat00 View Post
      I'm about halfway thought the book. My impression is that CART offered an olive branch to the Speedway multiple times, and each time the Speedway said no, we're not going to compromise.
      Which is an odd statement, considering it was CART's inability (unwillingness?) to compromise which started the whole IRL thing. Are any specific examples given for the Speedway's failure to compromise?

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Capps View Post
        Here is something that I came across in today's (13 June 2021) Book Review section of the New York Times that closely mirrors what a friend of mine, a journalism professor, said at a roundtable we participated in some years ago: "There's an old journalistic saying that access is a curse, because it puts the author in debt to his source and brings him too close to the person he is covering." (Ben Smith in a review of a book on Jeff Bezos.)
        This is true, albeit if a journalist is well-armed with knowledge, can be professional in keeping emotionally distant, and most importantly - use other sources, it can largely be avoided.

Big G, are you sure you want to keep admitting you were a "journalist." The mere word sends some folks here into Tourette's Syndrome-like profanity laden tirades. Which is, of course, unfair to people with Tourette's, as they have no control over their circumstances.
        "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

• Originally posted by Indyote View Post
          OK, my copy arrived too and I've started reading.

Snip

Some Knitpicking

EndSnip

Further update to follow when finished reading.

Finished reading.

Earlier promise I made to fulfill.

Yes, I have noticed some bias towards the author favoring CART over IRL.
          But in my opinion, this bias disappears once CART is done and over replaced by the Gerald Forsythe efforts.

For me: the CART bias wasn't disturbing enough to put the book aside because of being biased.
          Only if you are a diehard to the bone Indy fan who fails to acknowledge that Indy has its flaws that cause complications for the development of any racing series it is a part of, only then your own utter biased opinion will cause you to be annoyed about that CART bias
          And some assets of CART were within the book, (at least in my opinion) overrated and I don't agree with those opinions.

But anyway ,the book itself is informative, I learned a number of things I wasn't aware of.
          There is indeed something missing in it. But I doubt if many of the people who could have helped to fill this in were still available, let alone willing to talk about.
          Even if I heard that second hand, I know a story at Indy I would love to read more about but someone I know who spoke with the people behind that project told me that these people have no urge to talk about what they did any longer after all those years.
          How many people more like these men are in the same kind of situation or having the same opinions about their efforts?

In my opinion, no matter on which side you were in those years, maybe the manner of telling and going into details about certain topics may be biased and if written more neutral will cause less irritation with the Indy & IRL supporters. But as for the info the book does contain: despite what you may think about the presentation of some facts on occasion due to that bias: I rate the book as value for money.

It isn't the definitive book as long as the IRL side hasn't spoken out yet. But are they ever willing to do so? And if so, to whom would they dare to speak and have him/her print all of that?

Until then, this book is for me the one-eyed-Jack in the land of the blind.

OK, promise kept,

Comment

• I’m about 100 pages in, so I’m just after the disasterous meeting between TG and the CART board. I’ll hold my final verdict until the end, but right now I can’t help but notice the fundamental conflict of interest over the years between USAC and IMS. I thought the comment about CART being a hobby that got big faster than anyone could effectively manage it on the commercial side was also rather on point.

This leads me to a what-if question, that’ll I’ll ask in a new thread.
            “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X