New book on Rickenbacker era at IMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New book on Rickenbacker era at IMS

A new book has appeared titled "Indianapolis Motor Speedway: The Eddie Rickenbacker Era"
    Link

While the subject sounds interesting this line from the blurb makes me want to run away from this book:
    "Other grammar and punctuation irregularities are my humorous middle finger to those former “composition 101” profs who used so much red ink correcting my themes."

Sorry, author, but that kind of attitude just shows disrespect to the reader.

Same fellow who wrote "The Clown Price of auto racing"?????

Comment

Originally posted by Indyote View Post
      Same fellow who wrote "The Clown Price of auto racing"?????
      Yep...hope this is a much better-edited tome, but judging from the author's description of his own work, I have my doubts, as well.

The Clown Prince was basically a loosely woven together collection of anecdotes and recollections from the subject's past littered with some personal quotes. Eddie Sachs was much larger-than-life; sometimes to his own detriment, and so was Eddie Rickenbacker. Rickenbacker's autobiography is full of half-truths and outright lies, and there needs to be a well researched, unbiased and non-sensationalized record of his life and contributions to society.

This book might be a step in that direction...
      Tibi Fumus Obsidio Septum Doro

Comment

Currently working my way through the book. Its not so much about Rickenbacker himself but more of the era itself, focusing mostly on the accidents and injuries suffered by drivers each year. It reads much more like news clippings rather than a cohesive story. Its good for learning more about the drivers of the era though.

Comment

Originally posted by WhistleBlower View Post
          Currently working my way through the book. Its not so much about Rickenbacker himself but more of the era itself, focusing mostly on the accidents and injuries suffered by drivers each year. It reads much more like news clippings rather than a cohesive story. Its good for learning more about the drivers of the era though.
          Any photos? What quality?

Comment

Brock's "Against Death and Time" was to racing books what "Driven" was to racing movies, so it is hard to imagine a worse one. Rickenbacker? Only the hardest of hardcores will get into it. Interesting. I will check it out.
            The Castle of Speed

Comment

Originally posted by helioseism View Post
              "Other grammar and punctuation irregularities are my humorous middle finger to those former “composition 101” profs who used so much red ink correcting my themes.".
              That would drive me nuts! A portion of my career was as a book editor.
              "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
              "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
              "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by WhistleBlower View Post
                Hopefully the information on the drivers wasn't just copied off of Wikipedia or Motorsport Memorial...

...if it was, yeesh! It might come close to "Against Death And Time."
                Last edited by JThur1; 03-10-2021, 05:30 PM.
                "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Originally posted by helioseism View Post

While the subject sounds interesting this line from the blurb makes me want to run away from this book:
                  "Other grammar and punctuation irregularities are my humorous middle finger to those former “composition 101” profs who used so much red ink correcting my themes."

Sorry, author, but that kind of attitude just shows disrespect to the reader.
                  It's a curious marketing approach in trying to convince someone to buy this book, that's for sue.

It's a bit like a film maker asking you to watch their movie even though it was purposefully filmed out-of-focus as a middle finger to people who obsess over such details.

Comment

Dr. W. David Lewis (Auburn University), Eddie Rickenbacker: An American Hero in the Twentieth Century (Johns Hopkins University Press, 2005).
                    And so we beat on, boats against the current, drawn back ceaselessly into the past ... F. Scott Fitzgerald
                    Ever have the feeling that the rest of the world is a tuxedo and you're a pair of brown shoes? ... George Gobel

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X