No announcement yet.

Esoteric Ontario Motor Speedway question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a cousin living in Ontario, Oregon.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

I have a friend who grew up in Ontario, Ohio.

Comment

There's an Ontario, NY and an Ontario County in New York state. Names get reused all over the place. New York state also has towns named Mexico, Rome, Amsterdam, Boston, Akron, Atlanta, Cleveland, ...

Comment

MELYNsignfamily.jpgLet's hear it for the State O' Maine.
          I'll see YOU at the races!

Comment

I grew up on Ontario Rd. Do most towns have a series of streets named Michigan/Superior/Erie/Huron/Ontario?
            "Thank God for the fortune to be here, to be an American."--Alan Kulwicki, 11/15/92

Comment

I own a condo in Ontario, California. It is an easy walk to the "old grounds". I wish the place was still there. I stay in the condo three or four days a month to look after my distribution facility in Ontario. I walk the streets of the old grounds and imagine what might have been if OMS just could have made it.
              Last edited by Count Tracula; 03-11-2021, 02:28 PM.
              The Castle of Speed

Comment

Originally posted by happyscrappy-t View Post

Walk? Pfffft...nobody walks in L.A.
                Missing Persons reference?

Incidentally, if anyone would like to see what the inside of one of the suites at OMS looked like, I believe you'll find a depiction of one in Marvin Chomsky's 1971 film "Evel Knievel". OMS is the site of the "present day" jump, and there are several shots of George Hamilton and Sue Lyon in the suites prior to the jump.
                You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski View Post

Missing Persons reference?
                  It's a catchy tune Apparently a little too esoteric of a reference in a thread about an esoteric question.
                  "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

Originally posted by happyscrappy-t View Post

It's a catchy tune Apparently a little too esoteric of a reference in a thread about an esoteric question.
                    Oh, I got it. I was going to post something along those lines, but "what are words for?"
                    "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post
                      Why the track is built at a slight bearing to the road, it does seem curious. It could very well be the desire to allow room in the parcel for turn three grandstands.
                      Originally posted by Bobcat00 View Post
                      I chose my words carefully. And on that matter, I'm going with the opinion that it was to shoehorn in the seats at the entrance of turn 3.
                      In the 2009 Indianapolis 500 Program, a feature was done on Ontario. One of the things mentioned in the article was that they planned to construct less grandstand seating on the frontstretch (as compared to Indy at the time) and instead build a decent sized stand in turn three. Better sign-lines, etc.

And just think, Turn Three at Indy these days has become one of the most popular places to sit on race day. They were on to something back then.

That contemporary account seems to support the theory that they built it that was to allow for some Turn 3 seating.
                      Doctorindy.com

Comment

Thanks for that update. Interesting.

Comment

Two absolutely delightful reminiscences about Ontario and other kid stuff growing up in the car culture:

https://racer.com/2020/09/04/forging...-origin-story/

https://racer.com/2020/11/18/chapter...-to-our-sport/

They are supposed to be part of a three part series, but they've been up awhile with no sign of Part 3. The part about fake pit passes is priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurney36 View Post
                            The part about fake pit passes is priceless.
                            We had fake infield parking passes for Indy in the 70's. This was before color copiers, so someone on Krisiloff's team would make multiple low-contrast black-and-white copies, then use Flair markers to color in the passes by hand.

For the garage area, we'd just pass a badge through the fence, or wait for them to open the gate for a car to pass through and just barge in. They'd say, "Hey get back here," but we'd just keep walking. Once you were in, no one would ever check if you belonged there. A 15 year-old me spent most of the 73 rain delays in a garage sitting on the front wheels of Krisiloff's Kingfish car.

steve-krisiloff-blue-1973.jpg

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X