Obscure 500 entrant, Eddie Miller, update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Count Tracula View Post

You do not understand the incident. And it has nothing to do with Gordon's mouth.
    Driver error. It happens. Other drivers with different backgrounds made fatal mistakes too.

There have been oval racers who made mistakes on ovals and died. Road racers have made mistakes on road courses and died.

What does all of this prove?
    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Proves Gordon was a road racer out of his element. I was there. We all knew it. If wasn't going to happen in '80 or '81, it was going to happen in '82 or sooner than later. Gordon drove like an idiot and died like one, sad as it is, no disrespect intended. Ziggy took over the T car and drove it like a pro in qualifying and the race until the motor let go. The line he had in the 35 was effortless compared to mash-pedal look-at me Gordon. USAC guy was better in the 35. Sorry. Is what it is. Drove humble and well. Gordon was an arrogant fool.
      The Castle of Speed

Comment

Proves Gordon was a road racer out of his element. I was there. We all knew it. If wasn't going to happen in '80 or '81, it was going to happen in '82 or sooner than later. Gordon drove like an idiot and died like one, sad as it is, no disrespect intended. Ziggy took over the T car and drove it like a pro in qualifying and the race until the motor let go. The line he had in the 35 was effortless compared to mash-pedal look-at me Gordon. USAC guy was better in the 35. Sorry. Is what it is. Drove humble and well. Gordon was an arrogant fool.
        Let's say for the sake of argument everything you said about Gordon was correct. That he tried to drive a 195mph car 200mph is common knowledge. What does that have to do with the all other guys with road racing backgrounds who came to Indy during the same time period?

Oh that's right, NOTHING.
        The Ayn Rand of Indycar

Comment

Originally posted by DaveL View Post

Let's say for the sake of argument everything you said about Gordon was correct. That he tried to drive a 195mph car 200mph is common knowledge. What does that have to do with the all other guys with road racing backgrounds who came to Indy during the same time period?

Oh that's right, NOTHING.
          One of them was a rookie in 1982, won the race in 1985 if I recall correctly.

Comment

Gordon was an arrogant fool.
            While we are on the topic of arrogant fools.....

Comment

Originally posted by WIBCRacing View Post

One of them was a rookie in 1982, won the race in 1985 if I recall correctly.
              That kid from Kentucky who made it to F1 after working as a cab driver.
              The Ayn Rand of Indycar

Comment

Originally posted by DaveL View Post

That kid from Kentucky who made it to F1 after working as a cab driver.
                Oh yeah, hey listen....there is no doubt Messrs. Rahal and Sullivan, I will throw in Vern Schuppan too (who gave us fits in the '81 race with his talent and passed us twice for position like it was nothing) were all skilled race car drivers. But going back to my boogie-woogie days there, when I was racin' and chasin' (or as I used to say "bagging bank and high in rank" - LOL), the truth is we went for the oval track studs. It was still an oval trackers game. There were exceptions. But a lot of the left-right-left guys were money baggers just like today. We still felt you had to earn it. The game changed when they had to "Can-Am" the cars the way they had to "Danica" the cars in later years. It worked out. Funny thing is, in the "carnival car" era as we called it. - LOL! - we actually went with roadies over the oval guys because the game had changed so much. Hard to find a guy from the bullrings worth a popcorn fart. But just like there were some gunners off the twisties back in the late 70's early to mid 80's that showed prowess, so were there a couple dusties. We just didn't see the value. We never did take a bag of cash. Why would we need to? Nowadays one-third of the IndyCar field is for real, the other two-thirds are playing. But it is still fun to watch. I am glad to be out of the game in a new lane now. The money is better and I still get to chase! LOL!
                The Castle of Speed

Comment

...the way they had to "Danica" the cars...??
                  "Thank God for the fortune to be here, to be an American."--Alan Kulwicki, 11/15/92

Comment

Originally posted by JThur1 View Post
                    Only so long as it doesn't involve or isn't based on braggadocious comments that Smiley allegedly made, that have been rather soundly proven as false. Not that it has stopped that myth from having a life of its own.
                    Hey, Jim! 😲

Buford has died, and come back as Count Tracula!!😴

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Ferner View Post

Hey, Jim! 😲

Buford has died, and come back as Count Tracula!!😴
                      Nope. I am the ORIGINAL Count Tracula, that would be Sir or Mr. to you. The real deal. Big and deep in the game. Racing ended for me when I ran afoul and did a little stint in an FPC. I am good now and I am seriously into the restaurant game and still made bank last year against the Covid restrictions. We are that good at my joint and our home delivery was superior to anybody in town. Our brandy-flamed peppercorn steak with smoked bacon skillet potatoes and asparagus was a biggie last year. Sold over 3,300 to go orders and our clients kept the snazzy gift box. Our whiskey-glazed corn beef dish this month is on back order. We will do double shifts starting Monday the 15th and the 17th we are sold out. Our Deep Dish French Apple Tart with Cinnamon Whipped Cream is a popular morning delight and mighty tasty with our "Count's Blend" Gourmet Coffee, ground daily with our custom and Russian-made steel grinder.

When we reopen to sit down business we are delighted to announce the new "Fireside Lounge" will open, out in back, with nightly entertainment, karaoke after 11.

I am having a blast and getting plenty of a-- and making more bank than I ever did with the cars. Racing changed and two-thirds of it is "let's play race car driver, daddy" and that is not much fun. Still fun to watch, though, from the Fireside and watch the one-third pros eat the players lunch. And speaking of lunch, when we open for sit down, come eat one of ours. I'll bet you would like our Black Bean-Taco Burger with Jalapeno Steak Fries and an Irish Stout. ID as a Trackforum poster and after I verify, I will give a 25% discount and if it is Noon to 3 PM Monday through Thursday, you can meet our hostess with the mostess and I mean MOSTESS, Fabulous Fabiana. Hands off, compadre, she is mine, but we do enjoy the appreciation.
                      Last edited by Count Tracula; 03-04-2021, 05:10 PM.
                      The Castle of Speed

Comment

I just thought of this... another dish you might like is our Pan-Seared Catfish on East Africa Rice Pilaf with your choice of Fried Green Tomatoes w/ Sweet Chili Dressing OR Curried Okra w/ Onions. A lot of our clients enjoy chasing that great plate afterward in the lounge with our very own Black Cherry Graham Cracker Crumb Cobbler w/ Mocha Whipped Cream Topper. Very popular!

In fact, in all humility, I will not drop names, but let’s just say someone real famous that I hob a little with now and again around town and his lovely wife Allegra - well they just LUV this fine dish - and we have special delivered it twice in just the past month or so. Uncle Count always likes to show appreciation to those who look up to him, so I throw in a bottle of Justin Isoceles for he and the lovely lady and one of his prize favorite Oliva Melanio Torpedos - on the house - along with a personal note. Much appreciation, you know?

His wife’s sister, Catiana, is just a sweet heart of a former model and she and I had a little well, let's just say "fling-fling" in 2016 at Sea Ranch. Good fun! We did some shelling near Gualala, got in a hike around Bodega, and slid back down the coast and caught a little overnight catnap in Pismo Beach. We broke out a sassy Chateau Lafite and watched the Mid-Ohio race and Cat was just tickled at some of Count’s great old stories about the CART days. "Racers so crazy!' ,she said. True. True. But otherwise she found “car racing” boring. Just not Count himself! Let’s just say it was a nice little trip.
                        😉. But I had to let her go. Fabiana will have none of it.
                        The Castle of Speed

Comment

Don't forget Patrick Bedard in 1984.

Comment

Originally posted by MillerOffy View Post
                            Don't forget Patrick Bedard in 1984.
                            Ahhhh yes! Patrick Bedard, driving one of Lee Brayton's dodgy machines into the turf like a spiked football only to live to write about it. Never was he to return to try and top it!
                            The Castle of Speed

Comment

What did someone here say about Bedard? He started to believe his own writing? Or something like that.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X