Andy Granatelli's STP jet buzzing IMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy Granatelli's STP jet buzzing IMS

Does anyone remember what year Andy Granatelli had his pilot do a low level buzz of the main straightaway in the STP jet?
    It had a huge STP sticker on the underside of the fuselage/wings, so there was no question of who it was. I'm thinking 70-73 era.

I remember John Totten on the IMS pa system saying something like "It's obvious that Andy Granatelli is in town"!

Never heard of that. Classic Andy Granatelli, the P.T. Barnum of Indy cars.
    "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
    "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
    "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

What kind of jet was it?

Comment

I believe it was 1973...I remember seeing it happen. It must have been on the second day of qualifying, because that was the only day I was there that year. IIRC, it was rather overcast, and the plane might have been a bizjet...don't think it was a large plane. Whatever and whenever it was, it really shook things up for a while, I do remember that!
        Tibi Fumus Obsidio Septum Doro

Comment

I remember either 1963 or 1964 time trials....huge letters "S T P" were written by a sky writer plane above the Speedway...you could not miss it. Brilliant!!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X