No announcement yet.

YouTuber nascarman History and his take on the 'S' word

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those of you who were too young to remember it, you're lucky.

It was an ugly time.

Comment

I prefer to forget the politics and remember some of the best oval races I’ve ever seen.
      “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
      I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
      I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

Originally posted by MS View Post

It was an ugly time.
        It was heartbreaking for a fan since the mid-60's like me. I remember sitting in IMS grandstands May '79 behind pit lane when all of the top teams were shut out or in court. No Penske, Patrick, McLaren, Gurney.......

We were all Ongais fans and in 1980 anticipated the Porsche entry......which ironically was at Mid-Ohio in 1980 for the CRL race but never unloaded from the Interscope truck. Faint hope that differences could be settled.

Comment

That was probably one of the few things in which USAC and CART could agree upon and do that CRL thing: How to keep Porsche out of our series. .......
          Last edited by Indyote; 02-02-2021, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Thinking of recent history and Indyote's post, I couldn't help myself...

20210202_045241.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by MS View Post

It was an ugly time.
              I can remember hoping 20 cars would be entered for whatever race was booked that weekend.

Sometimes there was, sometimes there wasnt.
              Live like Dave

Comment

Very well done, I too enjoy Nascarman's youtube videos, he really does do an awesome job.

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post

I can remember hoping 20 cars would be entered for whatever race was booked that weekend.

Sometimes there was, sometimes there wasnt.
                  2007 was the worst if memory serves me right, on both sides. CCWS had a hard time getting to 17 most races, and outside of the Indy 500 I don't think the IRL had above 20 entries for a single race either. I remember watching both series that year and just wondering why they couldn't merge.... thankfully in that offseason they did.....finally.

Comment

IMS is like a family member to me. That's kinda how I looked at the split. The arrogance from the CART side was extreme but the wadding of the cars at the first US 500 really killed that.
                    Last edited by Sybil D. Sobydianz; 02-02-2021, 02:59 PM.
                    Center Grove Trojans
                    2008 5A Football State Champs
                    2015 6A Football State Champs
                    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Originally posted by RHR Fan Always View Post

2007 was the worst if memory serves me right, on both sides. CCWS had a hard time getting to 17 most races, and outside of the Indy 500 I don't think the IRL had above 20 entries for a single race either. I remember watching both series that year and just wondering why they couldn't merge.... thankfully in that offseason they did.....finally.
                      It was somewhere around that time. Its all a blur.
                      Live like Dave

Comment

Great series so far. There is also this important story of a great series sponsorship missed opportunity. Marlboro was coming on as a series sponsor in 1971 but in December Viceroy announced a team sponsorship and that angered Marlboro who pulled out for 1972. The lack of team funding from the series led eventually to the first CART-USAC split. Meanwhile Winston was series sponsor for NASCAR and things were hunky dory over there.

Barney Oldfield - AJ Foyt - Jim Clark - Dan Gurney - IMS - IMS YT - INDYCAR - INDYCAR YT

Comment

I started a post just before the DP01's debut that there was scant evidence that 18 DP01s had been prepped and had even a morning's worth of shakedown testing. The series fathers were writing checks and installing drivers just a week before the first race. The stories that must be out there but are not told. I'm sure it was no different trying to get the 500 field to 33.
                          "Thank God for the fortune to be here, to be an American."--Alan Kulwicki, 11/15/92

Comment

Originally posted by RHR Fan Always View Post

Going into 2008 both series were having serious car count problems looking ahead to their respective seasons.
                            The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by STAND E View Post
                              Great series so far. There is also this important story of a great series sponsorship missed opportunity. Marlboro was coming on as a series sponsor in 1971 but in December Viceroy announced a team sponsorship and that angered Marlboro who pulled out for 1972. The lack of team funding from the series led eventually to the first CART-USAC split. Meanwhile Winston was series sponsor for NASCAR and things were hunky dory over there.

Maybe they would've been in better shape by the early 2000's, but they still would have been affected by the Tobacco Master settlement agreement which meant that they would've had to live without tobacco sponsorship for about 20 years by now.

Comment

Originally posted by LAindycarfan80 View Post

Maybe they would've been in better shape by the early 2000's, but they still would have been affected by the Tobacco Master settlement agreement which meant that they would've had to live without tobacco sponsorship for about 20 years by now.
                                True, but I think IndyCar could have experienced higher highs, and perhaps there wouldn't have been either split because there wouldn't have been a shrinking pie to claim a piece of.
                                “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X