X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweaty Teddy
    replied
    Originally posted by dalz View Post
    I also heard a quote where Bernstein didn't exactly settle down Roberto's mindset when his last words to him before he rolled away were, "Really go for it! Try to lead the first lap!"
    Bernstein's a drag racer, so 2 1/2 miles is a long time for him...

Leave a comment:

• dalz
    replied
    I know enough mechanically to be dangerous, but I don't see how going to a more abrupt throttle setup would help on race day. I assume the Buick cars spent most of the day lifting, at least a little, through the turns. Were they worried about not getting good return to power off the corners? Restarts? Did Roberto demand it? Was he properly briefed on the nuances of what was being changed?

I also heard a quote where Bernstein didn't exactly settle down Roberto's mindset when his last words to him before he rolled away were, "Really go for it! Try to lead the first lap!"
    Last edited by dalz; 01-21-2021, 10:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jandj
    replied
    Thanks, guys.
    I’m thinking that the conversation I read alluded to Roberto using the Braylon setup up until race day which led to the comment about not being surprised if it got away from him the first time he goosed it.
    Wish I’d bookmarked it when I read it.

Leave a comment:

• Bizarreduck76
    replied
    I knew some who worked for Brayton then, and from what I remember from our conversations, the factory Buicks had one butterfly for the plenum resulting in terrible throttle feel...more like a toggle switch. The Brayton Buicks had a butterfly for each cylinder, which made it way more driveable.

Leave a comment:

• Shadow101
    replied
    IIRC, there's a quote in the Indy Star from Kenny Bernstein, or maybe from Guerrero, that they changed the butterflies to get better throttle response for race day. Which turned out to be a poor choice given the cold ambient temps. All seemed genuinely surprised about what happened though.

Leave a comment:

• jandj
    started a topic ‘92 Buicks at Indy question

‘92 Buicks at Indy question

Awhile back while randomly searching the Intardwebs I came upon an article (which unfortunately I didn’t bookmark) about
    Brayton’s work with developing the Buick.
    In the article, a crewman from Scott’s team mentioned that at Indy in ‘92 they had modified their fuel delivery system to partially mitigate the “Turbo kick in factor” on their car.
    He said that Roberto (I can’t recall if he said any of the other Buick’s did) had been using it all month but (if I recall the article correctly), for some reason didn’t use it on race day.
    The crewman was quoted as saying (paraphrasing), “We expected him to lose it the first time he romps on it”...which was on the pace lap warming tires.
    Anyone else heard anything along those lines?

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X