Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about the train tracks along Crawfordsville Rd.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about the train tracks along Crawfordsville Rd.

We used to park along the train tracks that ran alongside Crawfordsville Rd. (back in the 90's). When did they stop parking there? How far NW did the tracks run? It looks like the Rail Trail that is there now stops around Cunningham Rd. Was that the end of the line?
    "The track will choose who's going to win."

Tony Kanaan

I think in the beginning many fans arrived by train.

Is that the same line?

I don't know the area well.

Live like Dave

Comment

I am pretty sure that at one point those tracks went all the way to Crawfordsville, but I am not 100% certain

Comment

Davydd would know.

Comment

Ironically enough, last night I was on Dr.Indy’s audio download page and listened to TOGA from 1/11/16 where Donald talks about the rail line.
          When the track was first opened the Main Gate was put at the corner that became 16th & Georgetown so people could get off the train right at the gate.
          “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
          I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
          I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

I don't think those tracks were in use back in 1959 because I don't recall ever being stopped by a train in Speedway, but they did extend west. I crossed the tracks every school day at least twice at Cunningham Rd.
            Davydd (Anglicized Welsh name for David...that's all)
            Certified BPT Taster Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
            Long lost Speedway Sparkplug thrashing about in the deep woods of Minnesota

Comment

There are still remnants of a spur of the railroad crossing Polco, in the southeast corner of the gravel "Main Gate" parking lot. There is also evidence of the original railroad grading (but no rails/ties remaining) behind the Speedway gas station.
              Doctorindy.com

Comment

Did a little google maps tracing and you can see that the line continues straight and would have intersected 465 right about where Crawfordsville goes under. West of 465 you can find a bridge over the creek just south of 136. https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8032.../data=!3m1!1e3 Continue that line of trees that must have sprouted from the removed rail line NW gets you to where the rail bends and joins another heading South. At least that what it looks like to me.

I love satellite image sleuthing.
                "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

Originally posted by happyscrappy-t View Post
                  Did a little google maps tracing and you can see that the line continues straight and would have intersected 465 right about where Crawfordsville goes under. West of 465 you can find a bridge over the creek just south of 136. https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8032.../data=!3m1!1e3 Continue that line of trees that must have sprouted from the removed rail line NW gets you to where the rail bends and joins another heading South. At least that what it looks like to me.

I love satellite image sleuthing.
                  That's awesome....I looked at old railroad maps, http://trains.rockycrater.org/graphi...48/in-1948.jpg , and it looks like it was a New York Central line, with the B & O the line south of it.
                  http://www.honorflight.org/

Comment

https://www.indianapolismotorspeedwa...s?startrow=210

Comment

I know my grandpa took a train (he lived in Greensburg IN) to the race at least once...probably would have been in the 1920s.

Comment

When I was a kid (60s and 70s) and lived on Gerrard, those were active tracks. A switcher would pull a few cars from the industrial area east of Speedway to a lumber yard and other points west. I walked the line once it was abandoned almost to Clermont, but it went way further west than that.
                        ...a puerile junior-high zit-laden bloviating bozo loser blogger using third-rate scatological pseudo-humor talking loud and saying nothing.

Comment

From jandj's link, by Donald Davidson:

The Race Day rail service ended in the early 1960s (either ’62 or ’63), although trains still ran until the early 1970s.
                          I did not know that, but I could say that a lot every day.

Thanks folks
                          "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
                          ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

Zoomie!
                            Nice to see you.

Comment

There’s a tiny little Mario Creek just south of Crawfordsville Rd. just past the other side of 465. Wonder if there’s any connection?
                              "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
                              "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
                              "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X