• Show
Clear All

• Coyote Restoration

https://m.facebook.com/groups/231200...cus_composer=0
    “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
    I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
    I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Wow, a lot of info.

So, 3 functioning Coyotes existed. The original first 2 must've been built in '72 for the '73 season, right? Although his '72 car has lines that definitely foreshadowed the classic Coyote. Its last appearance was a victory in a USAC Championship race at Texas World in '79. That's an impressive run for a design. Did A.J. ever damage one significantly? I only remember him banging the turn 3 wall at the Pocono 500 once, driving to the pits and retiring.
    "Thank God for the fortune to be here, to be an American."--Alan Kulwicki, 11/15/92

Comment

That’s the way I read it, the ‘72 cars were rebuilt into the “Classic” Coyote style of ‘74-‘77.
      I don’t recall AJ ever doing significant damage to any of them over the years.

Comment

I seem to recall him sideswiping the wall at Trenton in the late 70's, but without serious damage.

dalz, like you, I assume the "'72" reference means the cars he raced in 1973, which were presumably constructed in '72. The '73 car is much closer in looks/design to the "classic" '74-'79 than the 1972 Coyote was.

(Courtesy openwheel33.com)

1972:

1972-CAR-2.jpg

1973:

1973-CAR-14-1.jpg

1974:

1974-CAR-14.jpg

Comment

Interesting. I'd like to see some photos of the 79 TWS spring race. He had the Parnelli late in 1978, I wonder if they brought the Coyote out of mothballs to save the Parnelli for Indianapolis.
          "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by MM658 View Post
            I seem to recall him sideswiping the wall at Trenton in the late 70's, but without serious damage.
            The incident I thought was at Pocono was possibly at Trenton. It was part of CBS's Sports Spectacular show intro and outtro, the music used was "Fire on High" by ELO.

Belanger--there is a film of the '79 USAC Championship season, linked here on another thread, that shows clips of the spring Texas race and it is unmistakably the Coyote. This was after the Parnelli was already used earlier in the season.
            "Thank God for the fortune to be here, to be an American."--Alan Kulwicki, 11/15/92

Comment

Originally posted by dalz View Post

The incident I thought was at Pocono was possibly at Trenton. It was part of CBS's Sports Spectacular show intro and outtro, the music used was "Fire on High" by ELO.

I attended all Pocono races from 75-88 and don't recall Foyt having an incident there.
              Just checked ChampCarStats.com -- August 1976 Trenton race - started 1st, finished 19th, 93 laps "Wrecked turn 4"

That site also confirms usage of the Coyote at Texas in '79.

Comment

Wasn’t the 72 car sold to Lee Brayton?

Brayton missed the race in 73, then Rick Muther made the 74 race....Ironically, the car had problems starting both years it made he race...The last I knew, it was in the hands of a Texas collector.....

Comment

Originally posted by MM658 View Post

I attended all Pocono races from 75-88 and don't recall Foyt having an incident there.
                  Just checked ChampCarStats.com -- August 1976 Trenton race - started 1st, finished 19th, 93 laps "Wrecked turn 4"

That site also confirms usage of the Coyote at Texas in '79.
                  I’m going purely on memory but I seem to recall watching that race, I think AJ hit the wall as a result of running wide in the turn making a pass.
                  I think he afterwards expressed displeasure with Mike Mosley.

Comment

I'm always astounded when I see the crowd in those old qualifying photos. I remember not being able to find a good seat on the outside of the main straight back in 1975.
                    It's hard to be cool when your dad is Goofy.

Comment

Originally posted by jandj View Post

I’m going purely on memory but I seem to recall watching that race, I think AJ hit the wall as a result of running wide in the turn making a pass.
                      I think he afterwards expressed displeasure with Mike Mosley.
                      Yup, I vaguely remember it too. He ran wide and banged the wall, parked it, got out and chewed out everyone within 50 feet. That's incredible if that is the most damage ever inflicted on a '70s Coyote.

Comment

Just for the heck of it, I went back through race results from the “Classic Coyote” era (‘73-‘78) and other than Trenton the only other non-mechanical DNF’s for AJ in a Coyote were a single car spin in T2 at the fall 150 at College Station and a spin into the catch fence in T2 at Mosport in ‘78.
                        So 3 minor dings in 6 years seems to be it.
                        AJ didn’t make many mistakes on his own and during that time frame he fared pretty well avoiding other’s goofs.
                        Last edited by jandj; 12-18-2020, 08:27 PM.

Comment

In his 1978 summer TWS win on YT, he talks in victory lane about how it's been a great car, but other teams have caught up and they will have to replace it soon. I think he expressed similar concerns during that month of May.

Comment

By ‘78 the Coyote was long in the tooth, wasn’t particularly competitive at Indy that year.
                            I was sitting in the Paddock stand waiting for him to move forward, he didn’t.
                            He went with the Parnelli until the last Coyote was built.
                            In Bob Riley’s book he says the aero worked too well, they couldn’t get springs strong enough to keep it from bottoming.
                            Eventually they cut holes in the floorpan as a stopgap measure.
                            Jack Starnes told AJ if they had the right springs nobody would have touched them.
                            As a gag gift AJ was given a set of springs off a railroad car for Christmas.
                            By ‘82 Foyt realized he couldn’t complete financially with Lola and March, he had already come to the same conclusion about building his own motors.
                            From then on he bought his cars and motors like everyone else.
                            Last edited by jandj; 12-21-2020, 03:26 PM.

Comment

At the risk of opening the can of worms, how authentic and of how much historical value must we rate an unfinished 4th car compared with the original 3 cars? On a same level as some of the `finished in later years` Eagles of the 70's of which some were built later on? Or what else kind of status has this car for the objective, unbiased car historian?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X