Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

James Bond at the Nurburgring

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • James Bond at the Nurburgring

    I'm currently reading the James Bond novel Trigger Mortis. It takes place chronologically between Ian Fleming's Goldfinger and Thunderball, so mid-1957. Any early plot device features James Bond entering the 1957 German Grand Prix to foil a Soviet scheme to showcase the might of their fictional race car at the expense of another driver.

    He poses as a rich playboy who wants to try his hand at racing, which doesn't feel as far fetched as it would be today. He drives a privately entered Maserati 250F.

    The author appears to have done his research. The 'Ring is described in detail, though he uses the English names for the various corners. Bergwerk is called The Mine, for instance.

    Bond preps for the race (he claims to have had some racing experience and name checks Goodwood, Silverstone, and Crystal Palace) at a former air force base roughly a 2 hour drive from London. The author refers to the town/circuit as Foxton Hall, though I wonder if this is a stand in for Thruxton. Either way, his description of a 1950's British air base turned racing circuit feels spot on.

    Several real life drivers are namechecked: Jean Behra, Harry Schell, and a few others. The car driven by the guy he's sent to protect is a Vanwall.

    Anyway, as a race fan I found it an interesting part of the story.
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

  • #2
    Joe, my parents had all the Ian Fleming Bond books and I read them when I was a young man. This book, however, is not a true Ian Fleming book. It is actually written by Anthony Horowitz (authorized by the Ian Fleming estate) and features recently discovered original material by Ian Fleming. There have been six other authors that have written James Bond novels: Raymond Benson, Jeffry Deaver, John Gardner, William Boyd, Kingsley Amis, and Sebastian Faulks. There may be others, but these are the ones I know about. "Trigger Mortis" seems interesting, I'll see if I can get a copy. Thanks for sharing!

    Comment


    • #3
      Have you read Moonraker too?
      A Le Mans connection in that one

      Comment


      • #4
        It has been a really long time since I read any of the Ian Fleming James Bond books. It looks like I'll have to give them another go!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by The JP View Post
          Joe, my parents had all the Ian Fleming Bond books and I read them when I was a young man. This book, however, is not a true Ian Fleming book. It is actually written by Anthony Horowitz (authorized by the Ian Fleming estate) and features recently discovered original material by Ian Fleming. There have been six other authors that have written James Bond novels: Raymond Benson, Jeffry Deaver, John Gardner, William Boyd, Kingsley Amis, and Sebastian Faulks. There may be others, but these are the ones I know about. "Trigger Mortis" seems interesting, I'll see if I can get a copy. Thanks for sharing!
          I've really enjoyed the 2 Horowitz has written. Forever and a Day provides an interesting look at the beginning of his career (it's set prior to Casino Royale). I've never been able to get into the novels that are set in the present day. I'm okay with the films, but I like the literary Bond to remain in the 50's and 60's.
          Real drivers don't need fenders!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by The JP View Post
            It has been a really long time since I read any of the Ian Fleming James Bond books. It looks like I'll have to give them another go!
            They had decent paperback editions on sale about a decade ago and I snapped them all up. I'm also thinking about reading my through them again.
            Real drivers don't need fenders!

            Comment


            • #7
              Have you read Moonraker too?
              A Le Mans connection in that one
              I don't remember that... although it's been at least 40 years.

              I've read Trigger Mortis, Forever and a Day, and Solo. I recommend them all.

              "It is a besetting vice of democracies to substitute public opinion for law. This is the usual form in which masses of men exhibit their tyranny." - James Fenimore Cooper

              "One man with courage is a majority." - Thomas Jefferson

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by KenK View Post

                I don't remember that... although it's been at least 40 years.

                I've read Trigger Mortis, Forever and a Day, and Solo. I recommend them all.
                I also really liked them. I felt they carried forth the spirit of the Fleming books. I could never get into the Gardner novels. I didn't hate the ones Raymond Benson wrote, they definitely had more of a Fleming feel, but I just can't get into a literary Bond who is set in modern times. The cool thing about Trigger Mortis, Forever and a Day, Solo, and Devil May Care is that they slot nicely into the Fleming timeline. Same with Colonel Sun.
                Real drivers don't need fenders!

                Comment


                • #9
                  The Nurburgring chapter was based on an unpublished Fleming manuscript called "Murder on Wheels" for a 50s television project. The original involved 007 foiling a SMERSH plot to sabotage the car of Stirling Moss.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Pelican Joe View Post

                    They had decent paperback editions on sale about a decade ago and I snapped them all up. I'm also thinking about reading my through them again.
                    I have a few of them...they are quick reads on rainy days, though admittedly the print is rather small for failing eyes...

                    You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

                    Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by KenK View Post

                      I don't remember that... although it's been at least 40 years.

                      I've read Trigger Mortis, Forever and a Day, and Solo. I recommend them all.

                      Must add to this: You must read Fleming's original Moonraker story for the Le Mans connection. The title was used many years later for a new scrpt on which the 1979 released movie was based upon. But that don't has a racing link.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Must add to this: You must read Fleming's original Moonraker story for the Le Mans connection. The title was used many years later for a new scrpt on which the 1979 released movie was based upon. But that don't has a racing link.
                        I own all the Fleming books and have read them, but that was over 40 years ago. I still don't remember the racing connection in Moonraker.
                        I suppose I'll have get it out & read it again.

                        I could never get into the Gardner novels.
                        John Gardner should have stuck with Boysie Oakes aka The Liquidator.
                        "It is a besetting vice of democracies to substitute public opinion for law. This is the usual form in which masses of men exhibit their tyranny." - James Fenimore Cooper

                        "One man with courage is a majority." - Thomas Jefferson

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Darn, I thought this was going to be about the driver who used to race at Raceway Park in Blue Island, Illinois who went by the name James Bond and drove car 007 finally getting to show his talents on the twisties...🙁

                          😀
                          Chicago Blackhawks done didn't do it again!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Hardscrabble View Post
                            Darn, I thought this was going to be about the driver who used to race at Raceway Park in Blue Island, Illinois who went by the name James Bond and drove car 007 finally getting to show his talents on the twisties...🙁

                            😀
                            He ran at Illiana occasionally too, methinks.
                            You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

                            Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

                            Comment

                            Unconfigured Ad Widget

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X