Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dale Jr. hosts Lost Speedways on Peacock: A great watch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saidhead View Post

Is it like an Irwindale situation, where they determined the land can't be built on? Or does whoever own it refuse to sell?
    Irwindale can be built on, it's just not a suitable location for residential development due to the quarries on either side. Fontana is the site where anything other than industrial or commercial development might not be allowed due to earlier contamination.

Lakeside in Denver closed after a spectator fatality.
    "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Augusta Intl Raceway episode was really interesting. But.....Why would they ever have placed the grandstands behind the pit lane and so far from the home stretch??

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
        Crazy to think tracks used to pull in 3 dozen asphalt late models.
        is there even 30 or 40 of them in Virginia now?
        I dug around the South Boston and Southside websites looking at car counts the last few years. I haven,t been to a track in almost 5 years now, but the counts remain consistent.

South Boston averages a 15 car field. 19 or 20 for the big races. Every blue moon , they will be stuck with a 9 car field.
        and a bunch of those guys come up from Carolina. Lee Pulliam is a Carolina boy. He aint from virginia. Its hard to tell how many Virginia based teams there are.

Virginia has 3 nascar sanctioned tracks to choose from any given weekend. Sobo, Langley or the New Dominion.

That really hurt the car counts at Sobo and Langley when everyone decided they wanted to run at the brand new state of the art New Dominion.

Southside isnt sanctioned by nascar. They start the season with 15 cars and end it with 8 or 9. The boiler plates take them out one at a time.

All in all, there might be 30 late models in Virginiia to cover 3 or tracks.

We will see next year who survives. Virginia tracks shut down this year.
        "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Unzerdog View Post

I dug around the South Boston and Southside websites looking at car counts the last few years. I haven,t been to a track in almost 5 years now, but the counts remain consistent.

South Boston averages a 15 car field. 19 or 20 for the big races. Every blue moon , they will be stuck with a 9 car field.
          and a bunch of those guys come up from Carolina. Lee Pulliam is a Carolina boy. He aint from virginia. Its hard to tell how many Virginia based teams there are.

Virginia has 3 nascar sanctioned tracks to choose from any given weekend. Sobo, Langley or the New Dominion.

That really hurt the car counts at Sobo and Langley when everyone decided they wanted to run at the brand new state of the art New Dominion.

Southside isnt sanctioned by nascar. They start the season with 15 cars and end it with 8 or 9. The boiler plates take them out one at a time.

All in all, there might be 30 late models in Virginiia to cover 3 or tracks.

We will see next year who survives. Virginia tracks shut down this year.
          I was at Caraway Speedway in North Carolina on Saturday for the north-south shootout. I was there for the 150 lap modified race but super late models also had a 150 lapper.

Nine late models showed up. NINE.
          I watched a handful of laps and then went back to my car, ate my lunch and waited for the next race.
          Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Unzerdog View Post

My neighbors took me there once in the mid '80's. Iwas no more than 10 or 11 yrs old. Mr. Thacker and his 2 sons picked me up saturday morning in his custom hot rod that had a rumble seat and he took us to Old Dominion.

The only racing i knew was a dirt track in Lebanon Valley N.Y.

The only asphalt track i knew of was Modifieds at Claremont New Hampshire.

I was a 10 year old Yankee transplant from Massatushits and Mr.Thacker was a very large true southern gentleman. Handle bar mustache and a booming scary roar as he yells at his 2 delinquent sons. Constantly.

We got there to the track early before practice. He left us 3 kids outside the track and he hung out in the pits all day.

His two kids went on about their business of monkey barring under the bleachers looking for beer tabbs in the dirt and climbing trees.

At 10 yrs. Old. I called B.S.. I wanted to watch the cars and these idiots made me play stoopid kids games.

At the end of the night, after the races, Mr. Thacker found us, dont remember how, but he put us in the rumble seat and took us for a rip around the track. That i will never forget.
            I moved to Virginia in 1988 and made my first trip to Old Dominion shortly after. Curtis Markham, Charlie Ford, Eddie Johnson and Danny Ford were the drivers winning most of the races then. I don't think I'd been to more that 3 Asphalt races at Jennerstown for Tour Mods and BGNN before that. Spent a lot of Saturday night there!
            "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

Comment

Originally posted by DavidM View Post

I moved to Virginia in 1988 and made my first trip to Old Dominion shortly after. Curtis Markham, Charlie Ford, Eddie Johnson and Danny Ford were the drivers winning most of the races then. I don't think I'd been to more that 3 Asphalt races at Jennerstown for Tour Mods and BGNN before that. Spent a lot of Saturday night there!
              I got to know Eddie Johnson real well. He was in every race we were ever in. He ran Southside every friday night and then would tow it all the way to South Boston on Saturday. He would turn the car over from the flat southside setup to the fast high bank setup for SoBo.

His chassis was set up for Southside and didn't run nearly as strong st SoBo. But damn he dominated at southside..our trip to Langley, sure enough Eddie was there too. The Hairfields were family with the Faulks and the Johnsons.. Eddies dad still drove their Modified at Southside.

Needless to say, i have a lot of really nice Eddie Johnson photos.. Their Modified at Southside is the last photo of a car i have taken. 4 or 5 years ago already.

I was surfing websites and didnt see Eddie Johnson or CE Faulk in 2019 events. Maybe they all hung it up. I know it was getting really hard to fund the stuff.

I got to the back gate of South Boston an hour early and was hanging out listening to Eddie talk to somebody. " the only thing dumber than owning a race car is owning a race track."

Eddie is a racers racer. It is what he does and doesnt know any other way. I know he was getting old. His dad looked really old me. Then got in his Modified and took off.

Great times. I was lucky.
              "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

I was at Caraway Speedway in North Carolina on Saturday for the north-south shootout. I was there for the 150 lap modified race but super late models also had a 150 lapper.

I watched a handful of laps and then went back to my car, ate my lunch and waited for the next race.
                150 laps is a long row with only 9 cars.

I would head to the car too. Probably drive around looking for N.C. bbq. I get real hungry for the good stuff.

Comment

Was SLM part of the event run by the "PRA Tours".? They seemed think they needed start a third SLM Series in Carolinas area when there are only enough cars for 1 series. That caused the PASS series(who had the only SLM series in the area for a while until CARS started one too)to abandon their South Series(a full blow tour, still 1 or 2 special events) because they knew things would be spread too thin.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X