Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decipher these ciphers found on A.J. Watson's shop walls.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't help with the cryptic writing, but I thought you all might like this photo that was taken in front of Watson's Glendale, CA shop.

bbb58db0a60e8e48868ac2aa68f038cc.jpg

Comment

20201130_074558.jpg
      "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

I love collecting ephemera. It doesn't take up much storage space, is usually cheap, and, to me, can be as evocative and personalized and interesting to pore over as other "finer" collectibles.

This batch came to me today from a great friend who donated it free . It has excellent provenance to declare it from the desk / work bench of AJ Watson.

I hope you enjoy it, and feel free to guesa at its significance.

20210510_134607.jpg

20210510_134617.jpg

Last edited by Turn13; 05-10-2021, 02:10 PM.
        "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
        ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

20210510_134629.jpg
          "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"

Brian's Wish

Comment

20210510_134636.jpg

Brian's Wish

Comment

20210510_134652.jpg

Brian's Wish

Comment

20210510_134703.jpg

Brian's Wish

Comment

20210510_134717.jpg

Brian's Wish

Comment

The letter from David M. Jenkins should brighten anyone's day!

Comment

It's a chit chart. These look like labour hours for work done by each person. Honesty was literally written on the wall for all to see. If your chit got too long, it looked bad for the one who was supposed to pay you. If you got got greedy with your hours, it looked bad for YOU. Payday was cash handouts with a full or partial chit payoff.

Comment

Originally posted by Turn13 View Post
                        Thanks for sharing

Comment

I was a letter carrier in Speedway for a couple of years back in the 60's. I was luck enough to have AJ on one of my routes. If there was ever a nicer human being, I haven't met 'em. He was a jewel of a man!
                          Jim Hurtubise's shop was also on that route, and I had to get there early because the "gone fishing" sign would be up around noontime.
                          I too was too poor to buy a ticket to the Race, so I sold newspapers, mostly in old wooden Grandstand D in the south short chute. My 500 journey began in 1956 and still goes on today. I hope to see a lot of old friends next week at The Speedway!
                          Have a very blessed day!

Comment

Originally posted by PHJIndy View Post
                            I hope to see a lot of old friends next week at The Speedway!
                            If you are still in your normal seats for practice (if they are open), I'll look you up!

...---...

Comment

Originally posted by cheeseczar View Post

If you are still in your normal seats for practice (if they are open), I'll look you up!
                              I usually don't attend the Gran Prix practice, but I had to see the place today. It was an awesome day! The parking was a bit difficult, but I got a shuttle from turn four to the Plaza so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.
                              My area is not there this year. When I did sit down it was in the Tower Terrace seats just north of the Pagoda. I sure miss seeing the cars and drivers up close as they come out to the Track, but it's only temporary. I hope to see you! I will be there every day, weather permitting, either in the same area as I was in today or the garage area. Make sure to bring your vaccination card. It's needed to get into the garage area.
                              BTW, the garage area restrooms have not been as clean since the day they were built. The Captain has done a great job, as we all knew he would.
                              Have a very blessed day!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X