Bad or unfortunate career moves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad or unfortunate career moves

I was thinking about Fernando Alonso this morning, one of the greatest drivers of all time in my opinion, but one who would have won a lot more if he had made some different career choices. In Alonso's case, many of his moves made sense at the time, but then came back to bite him later on: not going to Red Bull just before they got good and going to Ferrari just before they hit a fallow period are examples.

Who are some other drivers who have made bad or unfortunate career moves, not always on their own - sometimes just bad luck?

Jean Alesi choosing Ferrari over Williams in the early 90's was definitely the wrong choice. Jacky Ickx leaving Ferrari in 1973 just before they rolled out the 312T.

Then there are those who benefit from the bad choices of others. I don't believe Vettel has 4 championships if Alonso had gone to Red Bull. Vettel is a good driver, but not to the caliber of Alonso.

I'm stuck on F1 right now, but I'm sure there are similar stories across motorsports.
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

Danny Sullivan comes to mind. After winning Indy in 1985 and winning the CART championship in 1988 with Penske, his time at the top abruptly ended after 1990. There were a lot of moves and team shifting after 1989, and Sullivan seemed to end up at the short end of everything. He was let go from Penske and picked up by Patrick to drive the miserable Alfa for 1991. Then he moved over to Galles/Kraco for 1992 (after Rahal left). Which he explained (in his Marshall Pruett Podcat) was apparently doomed from the start. The team despised him and according to him, treated him like dirt. He was told upon arrival that "this is Al Jr's team" and he was there "to help Al Jr. win". When Danny did win a couple races, the team was angry, especially when it came at the expense of Al. Then the team left him hanging at the end of the 1993 season, not releasing him until very late in the silly season. So late that he was unable to secure a ride for 1994...all the rides were filled up. That's one of the reasons he tried NASCAR in 1994 (a total flop) and TV (arguably yet another flop), because he had nothing else going for him.

Who's fault was it, who knows. Was it the owners? Was it Danny? Bad luck? Who knows. It does raise a question as to if Bobby Rahal experienced the same treatment when he was part of Galles/Kraco....(which would be 1990-1991....he was with Kraco in '89, but the teams hadn't merged yet). Was his car treated as second class compared to Al's car? It's peculiar that Rahal only won 1 race in 1990-1991.

Rahal can be singled out for some bad/unfortunate moves. Taking over the Truesports chassis (R/H chassis) ruined their 1993 season. Then taking on the new Honda in 1994 about ruined their '94 season. When Honda and Rahal split after 1994, it was only a matter of time until the Honda came into their own and started winning races. Of course they did, and Rahal was no longer part of the program...and it took a while before they were reunited. After winning the title in 1992, the Rahal team was down for about 4 years afterwards.
    Doctorindy.com

Comment

The IndyCar one that comes to mind is Al Unser, Sr. leaving Chaparral at the end of the 1979 season.
      “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Sweaty Teddy View Post
        The IndyCar one that comes to mind is Al Unser, Sr. leaving Chaparral at the end of the 1979 season.
        Yup, that's a great example. Good chance he would have picked up win #4 a bit sooner had he stayed with Hall.

Comment

Michael Andretti's move to McLaren in 1993? I think he had a lot of things go against him: McLaren losing Renault at the last minute was a big blow.

Comment

Janet Guthrie remaining loyal to Rolla and passing up a Patrick (who she described as “Having all the human warmth of a jackhammer”) ride.
            In ‘74 Ruby passed up a ride on the Parnelli/Vel’s Superteam because he’d already committed to a lesser car.
            I would never fault anyone for loyalty and sticking to their word but those were two good opportunities missed, especially for Ruby.
            “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
            I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
            I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

Jacques Villeneuve to BAR was a mistake.

Penske made a bad career move getting rid of Tracy the first time.

Dario to Nascar could be another, but he did make up for it when he came back to Indycar.

Comment

Rutherford turning down the Forsythe ride for 1983 in favor of signing with Pat Patrick's team.

Comment

I was just listening to the Sam Schmidt Dinner with Racers the other day, and talked about how Alex Lloyd was under contract with Ganassi (who farmed him out to SSM) and would have been Dixon's teammate had Dario not come back. Instead of staying under contract with CGR, he bailed on a promise from a sponsor that turned out to be BS. Was only a couple of years later Ganassi formed the B team (Kimball and Rahal), and maybe Lloyd would have been there instead of one of those two.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveK51 View Post
                    Rutherford turning down the Forsythe ride for 1983 in favor of signing with Pat Patrick's team.
                    Beat me to it
                    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Alonso may have some luck this time around when he goes back to Renault. They seem to have found something at Spa and are closing in on Red Bull. Ricciardo must be re thinking leaving. Everything is the same next year so it will be great to have Fred back.
                      RIP Justin! WWJCD

Comment

I don't want to beat a dead horse or anything but it seems that a ride with the Foyt Team is a potential career ender. Exception is Sato.

And I'm a huge Foyt homer that suffers in silence.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Grigson View Post
                          Alonso may have some luck this time around when he goes back to Renault. They seem to have found something at Spa and are closing in on Red Bull. Ricciardo must be re thinking leaving. Everything is the same next year so it will be great to have Fred back.
                          I agree. His move from Red Bull to Renault was risky, but he was probably at a point where he needed to make something happen regarding his career, but leaving Renault right now might turn out to bite him. We'll see how McLaren does with Mercedes power in 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by TDIndy500 View Post
                            I don't want to beat a dead horse or anything but it seems that a ride with the Foyt Team is a potential career ender. Exception is Sato.

And I'm a huge Foyt homer that suffers in silence.
                            You beat me to it, I was going to say "Put name here" signs with Foyt. Huge Foyt fan as well.
                            “Church supper with grandma and granddad, lets go out and have ourselves the best time we ever had" - John Mellencamp

Comment

Originally posted by SteveK51 View Post
                              Hindsight is 2020 on that one, Patrick had won 3 times and his drivers finished 3rd and 4th in the standings in 1982 while Forsyhes team had only been part time (although they did get a win) so I can understand why JR saw Patrick as the strongest option

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X