R. I. P. Don Edmunds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R. I. P. Don Edmunds

He started 27th, finished 19th in the 1957 Indianapolis 500.

Was he the last surviving pre-AJ starter, by any chance?

This leaves Paul Goldsmith and AJ as the only drivers left from the 1950's.
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
    body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
    "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
    >

Comment

I remember this cover from Hot Rod Magazine in ‘66:

C733169A-2098-47A1-905E-0068B53BB14C.jpeg

This really caught my attention at the time because at the time supers were either homebuilts or sprint cars with bolt-on roll cages. Edmunds car was the first to pull it all together. Very cool machine with the cut off tail...

Comment

Originally posted by MDCSWildcats86 View Post
        He started 27th, finished 19th in the 1957 Indianapolis 500.

Was he the last surviving pre-AJ starter, by any chance?
        Yes, him & Goldsmith both were rookies in 1958.

Comment

Edmunds built some incredible creations, especially midgets. I had more than one friend who bought an Edmunds.
          "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Just like Wayne Weiler, and others, the obits left out his return to racing on the West Coast.

Don Edmunds didn't stop racing after the '59 '500'. He returned to Southern California, and while visiting Wally Peat at the SDRA modified sportsmen (super modifieds) races at San Diego's Balboa Stadium, accepted Peat's invite to drive. He'd told his wife he'd retire, and was concerned what would happen if she found out. She figured it out and had her suitcases packed when they reached a deal. Don continued to race, but only on Southern California short tracks with the SDRA. He did that through 1966. He also briefly returned to race a midget at Ascot in a revival of the URA in 1971.

Not only did Weiler and Edmunds both return to racing afterwards, they both drove the same car in California! After Edmunds had retired for good, Weiler drove the Peat Brothers 'T' modified at the 1968 sprint/modified open race at the old State Fairgrounds in Sacramento.

"Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X