Drivers who failed ROP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by senorsoupe View Post

Didn't they decline Jean-Pierre Frey in 1989?
    I don't know about his Indy adventures, but I've read more than one article saying he was hands-down the worst driver who ever turned a wheel in American OW racing. I didn't remember him personally. The record shows he raced in a few CART events, and later raced sports cars without glaring blemish.
    You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

Frey drove in Formula 3000. His record was 17 entries, 17 DNQs. And we are not talking marginal DNQs either, his best qualifying performance was 34th out of 37 at Imola. And, of the three drivers he beat, one didn't set a time, one was driving a car that was 7 years old (and which was 20 seconds off the pace then), and one was his team-mate who had been dropped in at the last minute.

He was black-flagged at Phoenix for being too slow. His best Indycar finish came when he was a lap behind Ken Johnson.

To give you an idea of how slow he was, he sued Euromotorsport (Antonio Ferrari's team) for the return of $1.5m. The Court ruled that he was 4 years out of time.
      "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

Thanks Ensign. An article I read was really critical, like "We should never slam Milka, Dr. Jack, or any other notorious backmarker because they could all drive circles around Jean-Pierre Frey!" At least I never heard of him causing a bone-headed accident.
        Last edited by dalz; 08-18-2020, 07:10 PM.
        You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

1975-Bob Nagel ThermoKing, 1973 Billy Schuman (Qaulity Racing) & Chockey Peterson (Own) & Eldon Rasmussen (Own) 1976 Gary Allbrightin (Routh/Gibson) 1971 Salt Walther (Walmotors) Also 1974 Steve Durst ( AT Ontario Rejected) ThermoKing. Harry Sauce in 1988 I Believe

Comment

Ray Lipper 1982 (Own) Car sold to HBK (Bigelow)

Comment

I believe ROP as it is did not exist until sometime in the 80s. Prior to that, rookies took their rookie tests during normal practice hours often while the veterans were also practicing. I believe they had until 2 or so days. before the final weekend of qualifying to complete their rookie tests. Rookie stripes were placed on the rear of the cars so the veterans could tell they were approaching an inexperienced rookie during practice.

Comment

What about Eddie Miller in 1976? Crashed through the infield fence in the south chute, almost hit a tree and almost broke through to the bleachers.

The 1976 film said he'd "be back next year" but never again set foot in an Indy Car. Did Tom Binford suggest he find another line of work?

Comment

Originally posted by MS View Post
                  What about Eddie Miller in 1976? Crashed through the infield fence in the south chute, almost hit a tree and almost broke through to the bleachers.

The 1976 film said he'd "be back next year" but never again set foot in an Indy Car. Did Tom Binford suggest he find another line of work?

Interesting that you bring him up.

The person that used to be a member here "Lotus" just spoke to Eddie Miller on the phone the other day and asked him all of those questions.

Comment

I'll be interested to hear those answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedbump64 View Post
                      I believe ROP as it is did not exist until sometime in the 80s. Prior to that, rookies took their rookie tests during normal practice hours often while the veterans were also practicing. I believe they had until 2 or so days. before the final weekend of qualifying to complete their rookie tests. Rookie stripes were placed on the rear of the cars so the veterans could tell they were approaching an inexperienced rookie during practice.
                      They had until the Wednesday before the second weekend of qualifying to pass their test. It was not uncommon for a driver to not get through the whole test because their car was either too slow, too unreliable, or both.
                      The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Bighitter3 View Post
                        Ray Lipper 1982 (Own) Car sold to HBK (Bigelow)
                        He didn't fail his test, he was deemed too inexperienced to be allowed to try.
                        The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X