Circle Track Magazine predicts what 2020 will be like - in 1988

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circle Track Magazine predicts what 2020 will be like - in 1988

20200622_130149.jpg I found this unpacking things after a move. I haven't read the article yet but the cover photo was a bit off IMO.
    Live like Dave

If Nascar looked like that, I'd watch!

Comment

Originally posted by The JP View Post
      If Nascar looked like that, I'd watch!
      It did. It was called IMSA GTP
      Live like Dave

Comment

This needed the assumption that these looked similar to what the average person was driving on the street by now. Not unless you're a rock star or a top sports figure.

The Petty car looks inspired by the Lola-Mazda T616 GTP-Lights car from 1984. The car in front looks like the Peugeot LeMans winner but that's too far ahead. Maybe the wacky DOME LeMans prototype.

Paul Van Valkenberg had an interesting take from the early '80s on what the 2010 Indy 500 would look like. Commentary on emerging tech like traction control, active suspension, electronic engine controls, etc. Nobody could predict the difficult economic and political changes that would put the sport into desperate cost control measures.
        You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

If NASCAR was racing what we see on the street in 2020 we would have a field full of SUVs!
          Can you imagine the blowover troubles? 😆
          Am interested to see what the rest of the article has to say.
          "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
          "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
          "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

I think I may have that issue somewhere.
            El Grillo Cantor

Comment

Given the fact that NASCAR went into truck racing too, I'm surprised there is no SUV category already.....

Comment

They should merge trucks and Xfinity into an SUV series. They have one too many national touring series' and Xfinity cars pretty much look like Cup cars.

If they can figure how to make a pickup safely run 190 then surely they can do the same with a differently shaped brick

Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post

It did. It was called IMSA GTP
                  Ha ha! You are right, and I watched!

Comment

When it comes to what we buy to drive on the street these days, I can picture guys being “into” their sedans and pickups after their purchase.
                    I don’t know anyone who is “into” SUVs.
                    It would be like little school buses racing around Daytona.
                    "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
                    "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
                    "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

I mean...was the last gen of DP that far off of this?

Comment

I got it...the lead car is an artist's take on the Olds Aerotech record car that Foyt drove. I know the artist was told to make something futuristic, and take some cues from existing high-tech race cars. The cars behind could be slopped in without much detail.

Comment

They should merge trucks and Xfinity into an SUV series. They have one too many national touring series' and Xfinity cars pretty much look like Cup cars.

If they can figure how to make a pickup safely run 190 then surely they can do the same with a differently shaped brick
                          I think the Truck Series could be either/or, with pickup bodies wheel to wheel with the newest versions of the Tahoe, Expedition and Sequoia. (The latest Durango might be sweet.)

Comment

As I remember, the rules are structured to keep the costs down quite a bit compared to the Cup series. The cover also mentioned NASCAR modifieds. Great fan of the modified series! Drove one once also. VERY Cool...

Comment

I sat in one once. I almost couldn't get in or out. Haha
                              Live like Dave

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X