1973 Indy 500 ROTY Graham McRae

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1973 Indy 500 ROTY Graham McRae

I wasn't quite sure where to put this but it may be of interest to some of you because of McRae's Indy 500 and USAC links - and even a link with Penske

https://www.motorsport.com/openwheel...eries/4800595/

That's some history, right there.

One of my great regrets is happening on a copy of Kevin Bartlett's bio, "Big Rev Kev" in a used book store in Nashville and not buying it one the spot. I was short on funds that day, and when I went back a few weeks later...the store had closed. GAHHHHHHH!!!
    You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

did McRea have some kind of a break down? (physical)
      "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
      body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
      "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
      >

Comment

Originally posted by Niseguy View Post
        did McRea have some kind of a break down? (physical)
        I believe it was more of a mental breakdown. Other than that I don't really have any details. Poor physical health may have also played a part.

On edit - just had a dig around and found this link to the Autosport forum. Rather than re-posting the details of something that happened way back in 2003 I'll give you the link to follow. Post #15 gives some of the background.

Just reading through the thread I see there is a 2010 post (#121) which may be what you are referring to. It doesn't give any specifics. It sounds like he had made a good recovery since the 2003 incident but was hospitalised in Vancouver while on a racing related visit to Canada and the US.

https://forums.autosport.com/topic/6...gress-updates/

I can't find anything on him post 2010 although it appears he is still alive. Most of the sites give scant mentions of the issues he has faced in recent life, and instead focus on his driving and car building prowess - and I for one am quite OK with that. I remember watching him as a kid and there were few drivers who could touch him. I hope he is as well as he can be.

(Good to hear from you Niseguy. I hope you are travelling well. )
        Last edited by 45 Below; 06-11-2020, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski View Post
          That's some history, right there.

One of my great regrets is happening on a copy of Kevin Bartlett's bio, "Big Rev Kev" in a used book store in Nashville and not buying it one the spot. I was short on funds that day, and when I went back a few weeks later...the store had closed. GAHHHHHHH!!!
          You might enjoy this article then.

https://www.s5000.com.au/kevin-bartl...-wheel-career/

Comment

McRea's 1973 Indy Eagle as was seen in 2014 in the now defunct Riverside International Automotive Museum...

Graham McRae 1973 Indy Eagle - 1.jpg

Graham McRae 1973 Indy Eagle - 2.jpg

Graham McRae 1973 Indy Eagle - 3.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by flatlander_48 View Post
              McRea's 1973 Indy Eagle as was seen in 2014 in the now defunct Riverside International Automotive Museum...

Graham McRae 1973 Indy Eagle - 1.jpg

Graham McRae 1973 Indy Eagle - 2.jpg

Graham McRae 1973 Indy Eagle - 3.jpg
              Thanks for posting those Flatlander. I had that car as the icon above my name for several years. I replaced it with Jack Brabham and Bruce McLaren getting into a bit of elbows out kart racing. Only trouble is it is a bit small to see properly. Here's a larger version.

a9d1e4e63d8822e2d35ad110991e0fc3.jpg

Comment

Sad that the museum closed after the deaths of the founders, father and son, Ray and Doug Magnon...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X