Alex Morales Motorsports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JThur1 View Post
    I found an article on Alex Morales in the Los Angeles Times where he stated that he only attempted driving once, a roadster at Huntington Beach. He rolled the car, escaping uninjured other than being covered in dirt and mud. From there, he decided that once was enough and he walked away to concentrate on the mechanical end. That would have been the earlier Huntington Beach track, a 5/8 mile dirt oval that ran early roadster races in 1932. Some future Indianapolis 500 starters (and winner) are known to have raced there.

Morales also mentioned building his first bobtail roadster in 1929.

His goal with the Championship USAC/CART team was to employ Southern California drivers, which he did for years (Caruthers, Mosley, Olivero, Carter), but eventually he needed extra money from drivers who could bring sponsorship money, so Rutherford and Howdy Holmes drove for him.
    Didn't Morales team up with Leader Cards at some point? I was thinking during the 80's there was some tie between the two in CART, or maybe just Indy.
    "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

I may be wrong because I'm working from memory at the time of this post but the legendary chief mechanic Johnny Caples was the guy in charge after his years with Vel's Parnelli.

Comment

Originally posted by Straightup82 View Post
        I may be wrong because I'm working from memory at the time of this post but the legendary chief mechanic Johnny Caples was the guy in charge after his years with Vel's Parnelli.
        Capels was the team manager at Morales at the time. For 1990...along with all the other pieces moving....Capels left and took an executive position at CART.
        Doctorindy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Straightup82 View Post
          You are correct, Sir! There were a couple of other things from the article I was going to post, one being that Johnny Capels was team manager of Morales Autosports. In the article, Capels said when VPJ was cutting back, he contacted Alex Morales about starting a team, and that's how Morales came to be in USAC Championship racing.
          "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Thanks for some of the info and stories team! I also am thinking of beefing up the Indycar section of the All American Racers article, it's sadly lacking!

Comment

Originally posted by Belanger99 View Post

Didn't Morales team up with Leader Cards at some point? I was thinking during the 80's there was some tie between the two in CART, or maybe just Indy.
              I'm not really sure, though that does sound familiar. I definitely recall Leader Card and another team going together for at least Indy.

Also, thanks for mentioning Johnny Capels as team manager. I was literally composing my post as you posted yours
              "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

I'm not really sure, though that does sound familiar. I definitely recall Leader Card and another team going together for at least Indy.

Also, thanks for mentioning Johnny Capels as team manager. I was literally composing my post as you posted yours
                Well, I wish I had done that, that was actually straightup. I did know Capels was the team manager, I got to know him a bit when he was head at USAC. I don't think he's gotten the recognition he deserves for his contributions to the sport. Guy was pretty good whether it was dirt (Vel's won a lot of dirt car races with him there) or pavement, front or rear engine.
                "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Belanger99 View Post

Well, I wish I had done that, that was actually straightup. I did know Capels was the team manager, I got to know him a bit when he was head at USAC. I don't think he's gotten the recognition he deserves for his contributions to the sport. Guy was pretty good whether it was dirt (Vel's won a lot of dirt car races with him there) or pavement, front or rear engine.
                  What I did there was accidentally combine replies to both you and Doctorindy. Oops

I definitely agree with you that Capels doesn't get the recognition he deserves. He also raced against the Unsers at the Speedway Park dirt oval in Albuquerque, back in his driving days.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Morales_Motorsports

Here is what I created, is anyone good with wiki formatting that would be willing to help polish it a bit? I reached the limits of my knowledge. I compiled all of the teams results in CART and USAC into a spreadsheet but am not good enough to put it into a Wikipedia friendly table, if anyone is good at that let me know and I can send what I created.

Comment

Originally posted by senorsoupe View Post
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Morales_Motorsports

Here is what I created, is anyone good with wiki formatting that would be willing to help polish it a bit? I reached the limits of my knowledge. I compiled all of the teams results in CART and USAC into a spreadsheet but am not good enough to put it into a Wikipedia friendly table, if anyone is good at that let me know and I can send what I created.
                      As Wikipedia entries go, you've done a good job. A couple of small points though...

Alex Morales Sr. founded the food company and sold from the tamale wagons in the early 1900s, Alex Jr. later took over the company and is the one behind the racing. That needs clarified in the early years portion.

Morales is much better known for fielding the sprint car than for USAC/CART racing. That's not just me writing that, note the obituary.

Comment

As Wikipedia entries go, you've done a good job. A couple of small points though...

Alex Morales Sr. founded the food company and sold from the tamale wagons in the early 1900s, Alex Jr. later took over the company and is the one behind the racing. That needs clarified in the early years portion.

Morales is much better known for fielding the sprint car than for USAC/CART racing. That's not just me writing that, note the obituary.
                        How does this sounds as a lead in the "early years" section Alex Morales, born in 1908, came from a family that had early success in the food industry with Tamale Carts in Los Angeles.

I'll also tweak the intro to talk a bit more about the importance of the sprint cars

Comment

How does this sounds as a lead in the "early years" section Alex Morales, born in 1908, came from a family that had early success in the food industry with Tamale Carts in Los Angeles.

I'll also tweak the intro to talk a bit more about the importance of the sprint cars

Comment

Thanks! I quite enjoyed doing this, need to find more old Indycar content to update on wikipedia now! There are a lot of articles that are thin on info

Comment

Thanks! I quite enjoyed doing this, need to find more old Indycar content to update on wikipedia now! There are a lot of articles that are thin on info
                              You're welcome. And there are a lot that have quite bad info, though I've attempted to make changes. There's just so, so much...

Comment

You're welcome. And there are a lot that have quite bad info, though I've attempted to make changes. There's just so, so much...
                                I fleshed out the qualifying section for the 1963 Indy 500 after listening to the radio broadcast, maybe I'll do more of those as the speedway releases them

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X