Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nostalgia Gaming. Which winners since 1950 did not defend their win?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nostalgia Gaming. Which winners since 1950 did not defend their win?

Which Indy 500 winners beginning in 1950 did not defend their win because of injury, death, or retirement; criteria, they didn't qualify for the race, so, for example, Vuky doesn't count.

i count 7 and would be resigned yet accepting to be wrong.

I count 5?

1994 - Al Unser, Jr. did not qualify for the 1995 race.
    1995 - Jacques Villeneuve was not entered in 1996 as he had moved to F1.
    1999 - Kenny Brack was not entered in 2000 as he had moved to CART.
    2000 - Juan Montoya was not entered in 2001 as he had moved to F1.
    2007 - Dario Franchitti was not entered in 2008 as he had moved to NASCAR.
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

Sam Hank in 1957. Retired.

Comment

Originally posted by Martyj View Post
        Sam Hank in 1957. Retired.
        I'm a little unclear about the criteria and wasn't sure we could count retirements?

Wallard in 51, Ruttman in 52, Flaherty in 56 did not defend due to injuries.
        Buddy Rice did not defend in 2005 after being hurt in practice.
        Hanks in 57, Bobby Unser in 1981, Franchitti in 2012 did not defend due to retirement.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Little Al and Rice are the only 2 who were entered, but did not make the race to defend their wins.

Comment

[QUOTE=Pelican Joe;n6637886]

I'm a little unclear about the criteria and wasn't sure we could count retirements?

I was unclear the same as you were-I presumed i was only those who were entered, had a ride but failed to post a time fast enough to make the show. In that case, it would be Al Jr. Rice was hurt and not cleared to drive in 2005.

I think you got the others, they simply did not return to defend their title. If injury/retirement/passing are included, the list grows much longer.
            "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

I was wrong, More than seven.

Comment

I counted 12 total since 1950: Wallard, Ruttman, Flaherty, Hanks, Bobby Unser, Al Unser Jr, Villenueve, Brack, Montoya, deFerran, Rice, Wheldon

Franchitti did return in 2013, it was his accident that sealed Kanaan's victory under yellow.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow101 View Post

Franchitti did return in 2013, it was his accident that sealed Kanaan's victory under yellow.
                  But he did not return in 2008. But he also didn’t “retire” as was suggested earlier. He was running NASCAR and Grand Am/American Le Mans.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow101 View Post
                    I counted 12 total since 1950: Wallard, Ruttman, Flaherty, Hanks, Bobby Unser, Al Unser Jr, Villenueve, Brack, Montoya, deFerran, Rice, Wheldon

I always forget that his nasty Houston accident happened in 2013 and not 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by IMS Museum View Post

But he did not return in 2008. But he also didn’t “retire” as was suggested earlier. He was running NASCAR and Grand Am/American Le Mans.
                      I stand corrected. I forgot about his 07 win...my hat's off to Pelican Joe and you.

Comment

Sam Hornish moved to Nascar in 2007,and did not defend his win that year.

Comment

Hornish finished 4th in 2007

Comment

1951 Lee Wallard - not in 1952 race due to injury in a crash about a week after the race
                            1952 Troy Ruttman - not in 1953 race due to injury in a sprint car crash in August
                            1956 Pat Flaherty - not in 1957 race due to injury suffered in a crash at Springfield in August.
                            1957 Sam Hanks - not in 1958 race, retired in victory lane...(but did race some stock car events)
                            1981 Bobby Unser - not in 1982 race, retired from driving, served as team manager for Josele Garza
                            1994 Al Unser Jr. - entered the 1995 race but failed to qualify
                            1995 Jacques Villenueve - not in 1996 race, racing in Formula One
                            1999 Kenny Brack - not in 2000 race, racing in CART series
                            2000 Juan Pablo Monoya - not in 2001 race, racing in Formula One
                            2003 Gil de Ferran - not in 2004 race, retired
                            2004 Buddy Rice - entered the 2005 race but did not attempt to qualify; suffered a concussion in a practice crash
                            2007 Dario Franchitti - not in 2008 race; was racing in NASCAR; but was also injured in a crash in a N'wide Series race in April
                            2011 Dan Wheldon - not in 2012 race; fatally injured in crash at Las Vegas in October
                            Doctorindy.com

Comment

What about pre-1950?

1911 Ray Harroun retires.
                              1912 Joe Dawson was entered in 1913, but car was withdrawn.
                              1914 Rene Thomas was not entered in 1915...I assume due to WW1.
                              1915 Ralph DePalma missed the 1916 race when his car was entered too late.
                              1916 Dario Resta did not return in 1919 as I believe he had retired. He would come out of retirement and race again in 1923.
                              1920 Gaston Chevrolet killed at Beverly Hills in late 1920.
                              1924 Joe Boyer killed at Altoona later in season.
                              1929 Ray Keech killed at Altoona later in season.
                              1935 Kelly Petillo did not enter the 1936 race as a driver, but did enter as an owner. He did drive in relief during the race, however.
                              1946 George Robson killed at Lakewood late 1946.

Did I miss any?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X