Roberto Guerrero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roberto Guerrero

Roberto Guerrero started out in Indy Car so well. After his 87 testing crash (right year?) he was involved in many crashes at Indy. Was he more aggressive? Was he not quite as good before the testing crash? Was he in the wrong place at the wrong time? He was one of my favorites.
    Last edited by preacher; 05-23-2020, 01:29 PM.

The crash in '88 wasn't his fault. Brayton lost it and crashed into him. The crash in '91 was a racin' deal between him and Cogan and there was a lot of finger pointing. '92 was clearly his fault, as were his crashes in '93 and '94.

He was not the same after his practice crash. Roberto was one of the best drivers in the sport before that.
    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

And from what I've read, one of the most pleasant people to be around.

Comment

Home video from the turn 3 grandstand released some time after the '91 race showed that Guerrero turned in on Cogan, primarily Roberto's fault.

Yes, Roberto was one of the most personable guys in the business. He made a great impression on the sports crew at a Green Bay TV station, driving up to the city during the Road America week to give an interview on a local noon news show. I think it was not long before his career-altering accident.
        You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

IMO he never was the same after his crash. I also think, sadly, that some of the top-tier teams shied away from him.

Comment

He was the real deal up until his testing crash at the speedway in '87. I happen to be there that day when it occurred. He was still good, but that little edge that separates good from great at that level was gone. He had the 1996 500 which would've been awesome, but it wasn't in the cards.

Comment

Originally posted by preacher View Post
              And from what I've read, one of the most pleasant people to be around.
              Yup. A great ambassador for the sport, before and after the crash. Very genuine.

Studies show that many people who suffer closed head injuries aren't quite the same personality as they were before. Over time the effects can get worse and worse. "Bert" was able to mash on the gas after the accident, but never seemed to have the same poise in the car that he did before.

Always wanted to see him do well.
              "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

From what I understand Katie Guerrero was equally as pleasant and gracious.

The Guerrero story is real shame. You don't want to see anyone lose their skills after a crash, but for as good a guy as he was it's specially tough.
                The Ayn Rand of Indycar

Comment

Originally posted by dalz View Post
                  Home video from the turn 3 grandstand released some time after the '91 race showed that Guerrero turned in on Cogan, primarily Roberto's fault.
                  Ha. Literally the opposite. Totally Cogan.

The video you are referencing starts about about 4:04 here:

Comment

He damn near won the 1996 Indy 500. People forget how great of a run he had that day.

Led the most laps, was in line to probably finish 3rd before he lost it in turn 4 on the last lap leading to the big Guerrero/Salazar/Zampedri crash.

Comment

Originally posted by Tree0404 View Post

Thanks. I knew one was them was considered at fault, then this video showed it was the other. I incorrectly had them flip-flopped.
                      You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

When Curt Cavin interviewed Cogan a handful of years ago, Cogan to this day apparently is still bitter about it.

https://sports.usatoday.com/2015/05/...to-500-pariah/

Doctorindy.com

Comment

If Kevin Cogan is involved... it's his fault.
                          I'll see YOU at the races!

Comment

He damn near won the 1996 Indy 500. People forget how great of a run he had that day.

Larry Curry was Cogan's mechanic in 1986. I talked with Curry at Milwaukee a week later and he told me he blamed himself for not saying anything to Cogan on the last restart. The pace car was way ahead of the field and Curry said he should have told Cogan to get on throttle earlier. As it turned out it was Rahal who basically set the start timing and Cogan couldn't recover.

Comment

Originally posted by indyrjc View Post

Larry Curry was Cogan's mechanic in 1986. I talked with Curry at Milwaukee a week later and he told me he blamed himself for not saying anything to Cogan on the last restart. The pace car was way ahead of the field and Curry said he should have told Cogan to get on throttle earlier. As it turned out it was Rahal who basically set the start timing and Cogan couldn't recover.
                              I actually just watched the '86 race the other day. Cogan should have crashed about 6 times near the end because he was charging so hard.

I think Cogan gets a bum wrap because of '82. He was actually a pretty good driver.
                              The Ayn Rand of Indycar

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X