Old School Gasoline Alley garage questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post

It took a lot of digging, and piecing together newspapers articles, but I think I'm confident that I have more or less nailed down how things went. ......
    Thanks for the excellent information, Doc! Everything thing you stated makes perfect sense and clears up a lot of questions that I've had for years. And I had totally forgotten about the row of windows above the doors on the pre-WWII garages.

Comment

Doc, that is great information!
      "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

This is all great information. I wasn't sure this was the direction this thread would take, but I'm glad it did.
        “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post
          This video is from 1985.

You can really see how congested it was. As mentioned, teams would store equipment, bodywork, tires, etc. outside because of the lack or space. And having all that stuff outside made it even more crowded congested. Mari Hulman George was right when she said at the time the whole place was one big "firetrap."

Since there was only one race per year, the teams actually got to use the garage for the whole 12 months if they wanted. I'd guess that offered them the time if they chose to install tile or other features...shelves, etc.

As mentioned, the width is probably about right, but many of the stalls didn't have partitions. Many/most were open on both sides (just like the garages we have now). So the depiction in the museum is mostly accurate, but a little 'fictional.'
          This video is amazing! This is the first time I've ever actually seen video of the old garages and am shocked by just how tight and confined they really were.
          --Paul Dalbey
          (the poster formerly known as 'pdalbey')

Different men, from vastly different backgrounds, focused on the same goal – a white line painted on a yard of brick 500 miles ahead.

http://Fieldof33.com

Comment

Great video! It brings back a lot of great memories! I saw a few faces I recognized.
            Have a very blessed day!

Comment

Progress report. I've painted most of the garage and built the bench. Once I paint the trim, the ceiling, and the bench I will share a couple pictures. Considering this is meant to be an homage and not a recreation, I think things are coming out okay. Definitely better than the starting point.

Comment

And a couple pictured of work in progress, as I'll have to circle back to this after completing other projects. I built new stairs at my mother's house last week, I'm installing a wall of bookcases at my place (which is a lot of woodwork, considering that I'm not a carpenter), and I'm helping my sister move out of storage next week.

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X