Jim Hurtubise Bump Day protest - 1978

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dalz View Post

Didn't he jump into a hopeless stock-block car in 1981 in the last hour of a very action-filled bump day and promptly spread the motor all over turns 1 and 2? Class act....
    Norm Hall's Chevy. Doesn't seem to have caused much of a problem, the Hungness book records attempts made after him by Rager (twice), Brayton (twice), Tempero (thrice), Jerry Sneva (twice), Snider, Mahler (twice), Firestone, and Simon (twice). Only refers to the engine smoking, not blowing up.

It gets forgotten that Hurtubise went to rear-engined cars in 1966, and again in 1972 and fairly easily made the 500 a couple of times after then. Why did he go back to the Mallard?
    "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

Originally posted by ensign14 View Post

It gets forgotten that Hurtubise went to rear-engined cars in 1966, and again in 1972 and fairly easily made the 500 a couple of times after then. Why did he go back to the Mallard?
      He made the race one more time in a McLaren in '74. As to why he went back to the Mallard to waste time and money? I don't know.
      The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Tifositoo View Post

Herk DID break both one and four lap records at Indy as a rookie in 1960...his average was 149.056 for the four laps and 149.601 for his fastest. His run was on the last day of qualifications, so he wasn't eligible for a front row start. In his book Parnelli: A Story Of Auto Racing, Bill Libby called Herk's performance that year the highlight of his racing career.

Herk just barely missed the 150 mph "barrier", and probably would have cracked it had he not gotten a little sideways on one of his laps.
        Oops! That's rather embarrassing Thanks. For some reason - at the moment I posted that - I was thinking only that he just missed the 150 mph barrier. I knew he started back in the field despite his qualifying speed. That's impressive, especially as a rookie, but still hardly a HoF career.

EDIT: It's also a reminder to check one's info, which I usually do, instead of going by memory

Last edited by JThur1; 05-15-2020, 11:59 AM.
        "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X