Nostalgia Trivia Question Round 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nostalgia Trivia Question Round 3

Name three drivers who won Indy 500 Rookie of the Year Honors and were not alive to qualify for their second race. The winner receives a brand new Amphicar 770

Jim Hickman?

Comment

Yep VM, that's one. A tragic loss at Milwaukee. I believe he owned one or more car dealerships. Did great at Indy, and then later in the summer lost his life. That's sad.

Comment

Originally posted by preacher View Post
        Name three drivers who won Indy 500 Rookie of the Year Honors and were not alive to qualify for their second race. The winner receives a brand new Amphicar 770
        I assume you mean second 500 race; not just any second race.

Besides the already mentioned Hickman there were two others. Larry Crockett was killed at Langhorne in early 1955 after winning the honor in 1954. And George Amick was killed at Daytona in early 1959 after finishing second in the '58 500 and being named the Rookie of the Year.

Comment

George Amick was driving me nuts. I kept thinking Manny Ayulo for some reason and I knew that wasn't right.

Comment

Originally posted by Vic Mackey View Post
            George Amick was driving me nuts. I kept thinking Manny Ayulo for some reason and I knew that wasn't right.
            Amick had tried for a couple of years to qualify at Indianapolis but never had much luck prior to 1958. For the most part he never had decent rides (at IMS) and one year he missed the entire month after being injured.

But everyone acknowledged that he was talented and he had three Championship wins elsewhere before finally qualifying for the 500. I had a chance to talk to Bignotti about him years later and George was still convinced that he might have won the 1959 500 with Amick had he lived. George said that Amick had earlier driven midgets for him and he was always fast.

It's one of those what if type thoughts but if Amick had lived Bignotti might never have gotten together with Foyt.

Comment

Originally posted by indyrjc View Post
              Amick had tried for a couple of years to qualify at Indianapolis but never had much luck prior to 1958. For the most part he never had decent rides (at IMS) and one year he missed the entire month after being injured.
              1956. He suffered a concussion and broken wrist when his Ford rolled on a qualifying lap for a USAC stock car race at Vallejo, California, which came minutes after qualifying resumed after Walt Faulkner's fatal flip in the same turn.

Amick won a lot in midgets, and ran well in everything he tried. Brother Bill raced in NASCAR, and was 1965 NASCAR PCLM (West) champion.
              "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Besides the already mentioned Hickman there were two others. Larry Crockett was killed at Langhorne in early 1955 after winning the honor in 1954. And George Amick was killed at Daytona in early 1959 after finishing second in the '58 500 and being named the Rookie of the Year.
                Yes Indy rjc, I mean second 500, thanks for the clarification

Comment

Sad news delivered. Yes. Langhorne was nasty.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X