Video: 1981 Indianapolis 500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video: 1981 Indianapolis 500

Some interesting things happen around the 45-minute mark. Al Unser has a mecurial moment in the pits and Sneva has a moment with the pace car that nailed Jaques Villanueve in 1995.

Props to Al for reconsidering blowing off Economacki.

The Sneva incident seemed to arise from the field believing that they were going green, then didn't. Tom slowed and the pace car found its place in front again. No harm no foul.
    You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by dalz View Post
      Props to Al for reconsidering blowing off Economacki.

The Sneva incident seemed to arise from the field believing that they were going green, then didn't. Tom slowed and the pace car found its place in front again. No harm no foul.
      Yet he still "passed the pace car", the supposed cardinal sin of racing, no matter what the situation - (or so they said).

USAC waved off the restart, and allowed the cars to get back in line, like you said, no harm, no foul. They actually made one good decision that day.

The starter is supposed have the authority to wave off a start or a restart when one car jumps the start/restart. And it would happen on occasion. Why did they not simply wave off the restart in 1995 - which they would have had the authority to do so. They could have waved it off, lined the field back up, and gone the clean the next time around.
      Doctorindy.com

Comment

ABC barely paid any attention to Schuppan's run to third. Considering the age of the car and experience of the team it was a remarkable run.
        The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

My first in person race! Sat with my dad in Stand J. Also the crowds the night before were an eye-opening experience for a sheltered 12 year old like me!

My memories of the day include:

All the restarts with Jerry Karl's LOUD Chevrolet V8 trailing the field every time.

My dad being absolutely certain we had witnessed a fatality. (Ongais' crash across from us in turn 3)

Car #37 looking like it was about to spin every time in turn 4, but he never did. It was rookie Scott Brayton, and I decided I was going to start rooting for him as my favorite "underdog"
          El Grillo Cantor

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post

Yet he still "passed the pace car", the supposed cardinal sin of racing, no matter what the situation - (or so they said).

USAC waved off the restart, and allowed the cars to get back in line, like you said, no harm, no foul. They actually made one good decision that day.

The starter is supposed have the authority to wave off a start or a restart when one car jumps the start/restart. And it would happen on occasion. Why did they not simply wave off the restart in 1995 - which they would have had the authority to do so. They could have waved it off, lined the field back up, and gone the clean the next time around.
            I originally thought that the pace car lights went off, predicting a restart, but that doesn't look like it was the case. Sneva was the only one to wind it up, leaving everyone behind. Since it appears there was no eminent restart, the yellow was still a lap or more from ending, it was easy to restore order with no accusations of wrongdoing.

For many years the line was blurry about when the pace car was officially "clear". Sometimes the leader was roaring past before the pace car was to the beginning of the pit wall, climaxing in Goodyear's gross 1995 early jump. Maybe since the restart was a go, pace car lights off, it made Scott's miscue too blatant to handle any other way.
            You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X