Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nostalgia Trivia Question Round 2

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nostalgia Trivia Question Round 2

    Winner receives E Stand Penthouse tickets for this year's May 24th Indy 500

    Name the eventual 500 winner who qualified in the rain (4th lap) in his first successful Indy 500 qualifying event


  • #2
    Vuky

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by preacher View Post
      Winner receives E Stand Penthouse tickets for this year's May 24th Indy 500

      Name the eventual 500 winner who qualified in the rain (4th lap) in his first successful Indy 500 qualifying event
      That was Tom Sneva in 1974.

      Comment


      • #4
        Must take much harder questions to get this group. Yep, Sneva. Not sure about Vuky. I think Fred Agabashian had rain in his 1952 qualifying effort.

        Comment


        • #5

          IIRC, Vukie waited until the last possible moment to make his run in 1953...the skies were VERY threatening, and he knew the dense air would give him extra horsepower. There was thunder and lightning all through his run, and the skies cut loose just about the time he crossed the finish line on his 4th lap. Most drivers would have backed off at the first sign of raindrops because the car would be almost uncontrollable going into the first turn after an all-out charge to the finish line in the wet, and this was a real downpour. But, Vukie never slowed down, snatched the pole and somehow got through a very wet first turn.
          Tibi Fumus Obsidio Septum Doro

          Comment


          • #6
            Clark Gable in to please a lady!
            "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
            body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
            "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
            >

            Comment


            • #7
              Dennis Firestone did I think more than a full lap in the rain to get into the field in 1983. Bad weather and too many bet-hedgers meant the speed he was aiming at was a glacial 180mph. Pole was 207.
              "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ensign14 View Post
                Dennis Firestone did I think more than a full lap in the rain to get into the field in 1983. Bad weather and too many bet-hedgers meant the speed he was aiming at was a glacial 180mph. Pole was 207.
                From the ABC coverage, it began to rain as he was on the backstretch of lap 4. He made it through 3-4 with moderate rain falling, and charged down the front straight to the line in a full-on downpour.

                Vukovich's brilliant pole-winning run which finished in the rain was not his rookie year.
                You have the IndyCar you deserve.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by dalz View Post

                  From the ABC coverage, it began to rain as he was on the backstretch of lap 4. He made it through 3-4 with moderate rain falling, and charged down the front straight to the line in a full-on downpour.

                  Vukovich's brilliant pole-winning run which finished in the rain was not his rookie year.
                  Right...that was 1951.
                  Tibi Fumus Obsidio Septum Doro

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tifositoo View Post

                    Right...that was 1951.
                    He passed his Rookie Test in 1950 in the ex-Shaw Maserati and also drove the rear engine Rounds Rocket didn't make the field in either car.

                    Comment

                    Unconfigured Ad Widget

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X