Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old aerial race day pic - what year?

csnu3wch3qe7eabu90w9qlgcm5u8ne.jpg

I would have to guess the photo was taken in the 1922.

The single row of garages is correct for then and the grandstands are right as well. The design of the passenger cars in the infield look right with a ton of identical looking Fords. Even though it's an aerial photo you can see that there are only 9 rows of 3 cars. The 1922 500 only started 27 cars so that matches up. And they look to be wider two man cars instead of skinny single seaters. 1922 was the last year for riding mechanics until they came back with the advent of the Junk Formula.

Comment

Great pic, and thanks for your suggestions as to date, IRJC!

Comment

Mighty fine detective work RJC. Cool pic, too!
        "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
        "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
        "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

I have read here over the years people lamenting the loss of trees at the speedway. I see exactly two..

Comment

It had woods at one time.

1913ims.jpg

Comment

Not much action taking place in the Snake Pit.

Comment

Originally posted by RS2 View Post
                It had woods at one time.

1913ims.jpg
                That is a postcard drawing, not an actual photograph.
                Here is an aerial from the early days. I suppose this could be another "what year is this?" question, because I have no idea.
                indyjrc - thanks for your insightful reply to my original post. Any thoughts on the year of this pic?

Annotation 2020-03-30 210903.JPEG

Comment

My first 500 was in the infield with my buds, Bohemian beers and the shade from large trees.
                  ‘68.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X