Indy Photos 1980

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indy Photos 1980

I got a film scanner and was going through old negatives to digitize them. Here a some photos from the month of May 1980. https://public.fotki.com/mckind/indy1980/

Firebirds!
    There's really no such thing as Gary the Moose, Sybil.

Comment

Nice. Really like the one with Lonestar framed by out of focus, foreground, troopers, and how did you get Ongais' attention?
      "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

Great pics. Lots of memories of that era. But WTF am I looking at in #30? I can't decide if his hair looks like Kazoo from the Flintsones or one of the mushroom guys from Nintendo.
        Center Grove Trojans
        2008 5A Football State Champs
        2015 6A Football State Champs
        2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
        2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Very good shots, Danny. I'm assuming those were shot using the old Kodak Tri-X B&W film; probably ASA 400?

The guy with the huge mustache is Milt Harper in photo 00147. Harper was a West Coast midget driver and I believe a photographer as well. He actually drove an Indy car at Pocono some weeks after your photo was taken. The car was one of the original Antares chassis and Harper blew the engine in Practice before he could attempt to qualify.

And photo 00155 shows Bobby Unser with Dick Ferguson in Garage #60. That's mechanic Jerry Eisert's hat sticking up complete with his little bear foam sticker on the front. The guys at the Bear Rack were handing those out that year and Jerry had several of them stuck on his toolbox. I was on that crew and Bobby Unser was always hanging around in the evenings correcting me and telling me better ways to do things; he was always right. He and Ferguson had worked together in the past and Ferguson had driven an Eagle Formula Ford for Bobby that was originally meant for Unser's son.

Comment

Originally posted by happyscrappy-t View Post
            Nice. Really like the one with Lonestar framed by out of focus, foreground, troopers, and how did you get Ongais' attention?
            I like the shot of JR as well, also the pic of Tom Carnegie. As for Ongais, I dunno, dumb luck?

Comment

I'm getting old. I always mention that I miss the creek. #18 made me realize I miss the Flag Lot as well.

Comment

What was super boobs about?
                "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
                body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
                "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
                >

Comment

Originally posted by Niseguy View Post
                  Don't know. There seems to have been more drunken race fans in the 80's.

Comment

There seems to have been more drunken race fans in the 80's.
                    [/QUOTE]

Easy there fella, I resembled that remark back in '88,.....I got a free 3 day stay at the Graybar Motel that year

Comment

Originally posted by Niseguy View Post
                      Possible reference to Linda Vaughn?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X