1973 Indy 500 Time Trials TV coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1973 Indy 500 Time Trials TV coverage

I wouldn't know where to begin searching so I figured I'd ask here (and hoping this is the right section).

Reason I'm asking; I have received a copy of German TV channel ZDF's program "Sport-Studio" aired on May 13th, 1973. For whatever reason, this included a 50 second segment on Art Pollards accident with original English commentary. I am quite terrible at this but I'm inclined to believe the commentary is by Tom Carnegie. The video itself is considerably less shakey than what's on YouTube and is shot from a different angle.

Carnegie talks about the accident in retrospect. It seems a small portion of the video is cut - it jumps from marshalls extinguishing the fire to Pollard being carried into the ambulance. Commentary then stops, pictures moves to a camera in the infield (and is from this point on silent), then back to Carnegie before the video stops.

Does anyone know if the '73 time trials were televised at all? I know WTHR did do (at least) some as I have some pieces on the '78 time trials and Carnegie was one of the commentators...or did another channel cover it?

Carnegie narrated a Castrol documentary on the 1973 race, I suspect what you saw came from that.

Comment

Not sure this is what you are talking about but Ch 6 (WFBM/WRTV) for many years would do an hour long live qualifying show each TT day that was also available elsewhere (Ch 7 here in Dayton sometimes carried it)...Tom Carnegie was SD of Ch 6, and they would use other Ch 6 announcers (John Totten, Dave Piontek, as well as Len Sutton)..... the shows were a mix of live qualifying runs, plus tape of earlier runs, usually in their entirety... They would use the PA call for the actual runs...

Comment

Tom Carnegie calling time trials is one of my favorite things ever. My memory says Chris Schenkel (sp?) used to do some time trial and race shows for ABC.
        Center Grove Trojans
        2008 5A Football State Champs
        2015 6A Football State Champs
        2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
        2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

According to TV listings, ABC had coverage on pole day at 5 pm. Likely part of Wide World of Sports.
          Doctorindy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post
            Tom Carnegie calling time trials is one of my favorite things ever. ......
            Here's an interesting audio clip from Peter Revson's 1971 pole position run. This was hand recorded on a small tape recorder in the Third Turn. The audio isn't very good but it is certainly historical. Unless, LPBF has a copy of 1971 Time Trials in his vault somewhere this is probably the only audio record left of this run.

You can hear Revson's car going through the turn and it sounds relatively quiet. Part of that is likely the recording but also remember that Revson was actually using the brakes and getting out of the throttle until he was well into the turn. The new bodywork wings on the McLaren helped but downforce was nothing like it would be years later.

I'm not sure if that's John Totten describing the run but it may be. Someone here probably knows for sure. Carnegie only gives the "Time and Speed Report".

Also, notice that Tom doesn't give his "..New Track Record..." line until after the run is over even though Revson set records on the way to completing the run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bybH...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post
              According to TV listings, ABC had coverage on pole day at 5 pm. Likely part of Wide World of Sports.
              How in the hell do you have access to 1973 TV listings? Did you save all the TV Guides like Homer Simpson?

"Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
              "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
              "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Stick500 View Post
                How in the hell do you have access to 1973 TV listings? Did you save all the TV Guides like Homer Simpson?
                There are several online newspaper history sites online with full page views, like microfilm online. The Indianapolis Star and Indianapolis News is on newspapers.com, for instance. Fee is reasonable. Marvelous resource. Alas, old TV Guides are generally not online.

The Saturday, May 12, 1973 qualifications were on ABC's Wide World of Sports (along with the World Wristwrestling Championships from Petaluma, Calif.), seen in Indy on WLWI 13, plus this local coverage:
                WRTV 6: 4:30-5:30 p.m. live, plus a wrapup at 11:15 p.m.
                WISH 8: 4:30-5:30 p.m. live
                WTTV 4: 9-10 p.m. wrapup

Comment

I probably watched that Wide World of Sports when I was 13. Started paying attention to Indy after watching the '71 race on TV (my dad was there for his first) and then I got to the groundbreaking time trials in '72 for my first trip to the track.
                  "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
                  "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
                  "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

There's some coverage of Bubble Day 1978 on Youtube, then 1983 on up. I'm not aware of anything else.
                    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post
                      Donald Davidson would say that in the 1970s at times, AJ Foyt would practice in the morning, then spend the afternoon in the Turn 2 suits entertaining sponsors, etc., then at about 3 p.m., go back to the garage and get his car ready for a live Wide World of Sports qualification run - give Jim McKay, Jackie Stewart, Chris Schenkel and Bill Flemming a little cookie for their live coverage.

Comment

This is a short radio aircheck of Lou Palmer and Donald Davidson doing a live WIBC report on the first day of 73 qualifying and they mention Pollard's death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvZA-JA-ecY

Comment

Originally posted by Stick500 View Post
                          How in the hell do you have access to 1973 TV listings?
                          I wondered the same thing.

But I have learned to not doubt Doctorindy.
                          Center Grove Trojans
                          2008 5A Football State Champs
                          2015 6A Football State Champs
                          2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                          2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post

But I have learned to not doubt Doctorindy.
                            It's why he's the doctor and we aren't

Comment

Your local library's microfilm of the local newspaper can be a wealth of information, even mundane sources like the TV listings. That's how I, ahem, scooped the Doctor in that the first year of ABC's expanded 3hr. 500 broadcast was 1980, not 1981.
                              You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X