1964 Amphicar 770

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Amphicar 770

It is not all that bad, it has bench seats.

https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/car-of...4-amphicar-770

==

One of my all-time favorites! Thanks for sharing.
    Bryan Brothers Racing Team: We'll see you "at the track"!!!

Comment

No pictures of it in the water?!?! What a waste.

I always loved to hear my Dad talk about seeing one for the first time when he was young. He was always on the Ohio River. One day he and his friends were putting a boat in at Cox Park in Louisville, and a car drove right down the ramp into the river. Everyone was shocked, then were more shocked when it started putting around in the water.

Comment

I worked for the Milwaukee County Park Commission the summer before my senior high school year, at the McKinley Marina on Lake Michigan. The boat launch ramp, probably about boats wide was between two quays. My favorite memory of the job was the bunch of guys who had a WWII surplus DUKW. They would wait at the top of the ramp until they had a clear shot and then would charge down the ramp at hit the water doing about 20 mph. That would send huge waves crashing out in both directions, upsetting all of the boat launchers, and then the waves would hit the quays and bounce back toward the middle, upsetting the boat launchers again. Then the waves would collide in the middle and bounce back toward the quays, upsetting the boat launchers again. And then the waves would hit the quays again . . .

Comment

I'd occasionally see one driving (navigating?) around the St. Croix River here in east-central MN. Was cool to see one in action.

Comment

I find it strange that a German-built vehicle would use a [British] Triumph Herald engine. Surely there must have been a German engine they could have used. Admittedly the VW engine was air cooled which might have presented difficulties in this installation.
            Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Dartguy View Post
              No pictures of it in the water?!?! What a waste.
              49619162453_ae9a3a372c_c.jpg
              "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X