Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did more than a single pace lap get established at the Indy 500, if ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did more than a single pace lap get established at the Indy 500, if ever?

So, I've been watching the old 500 films on You Tube. It seems - and I might be wrong - that there is one pace lap and then the green flag. If this is so, when did they go to multiple laps before the start? Perhaps these old films don't mention or show the "parade" lap. I also know that 58 was all messed up with the front row getting ahead of the rest of the field.

One lap til ‘57, 2 laps til ‘74 when a third was added.
    A 4th was added in 2012.
    ’57 & ‘58 they tried lining the cars up single file on pit road with the intent of them forming up on track.
    After incidents before the start both years they gave it up as a bad idea.
    Last edited by jandj; 02-22-2020, 09:49 PM.
    “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
    I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
    I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

Originally posted by jandj View Post
      One lap til ‘57, 2 laps til ‘74 when a third was added.
      A 4th was added in 2012.
      ’57 & ‘58 they tried lining the cars up single file on pit road with the intent of them forming up on track.
      After incidents before the start both years they gave it up as a bad idea.
      I had thought it was 1974 when they went to three warm-up laps, but I went back and closely checked the radio tapes. It was 1977 in which they went to three (described as 2 "parade" laps and 1 "pace" laps).

Doctorindy.com

Comment

I'm all for the field of drivers waving at the fans on the entire first parade lap. Huge waves. Arms up in the air. I get that things get complicated maneuvering among the rows with radio checks, monitoring electronics and everything going on in the cockpit. All the more reason to have another parade lap (tire warm up zig-zag, etc.) then the pace lap and row alignment coming to the green green green.
        www.ragingphotos.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X