No announcement yet.

CART Races on Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again, thanks to those who were involved for filling in the history of Indy racing on radio that I was unaware of.

Apparently in 1978, Paul Page launched a "USAC Radio Network" that did a number of races that season. That included the Pocono 500 which MRN had done before and also Phoenix and Milwaukee. I'm assuming that the split basically killed that for 1979 since I've seen no indications that this network did any races that year.

Comment

Originally posted by lotuspoweredbyford View Post

That is correct.
      Thanks for filling me in..
      Interesting to know that after that mishap he still found a manner to remain active within racing. By all accounts that I have read about him, he must have been a very special person.

Comment

I don't know why the discussion is limited to the 70s-90's. There were a large number of national championship races done on local radio stations.

Our friend Lotus Powered by Ford might know if in the WIBC archives any Hoosier Hundred radio broadcasts still exist.

WTAX in Springfield, Illinois was known to cover the championship race during the Illinois State Fair. WDQN radio provided considerable coverage of all events during the DuQuoin State Fair, including horse and auto races.
        "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

I was thinking first of the era where there was a clearly defined "network" involved of brodcasting Indy races. Those would be the most likely broadcasts to exist out there among home tapers because of the wider exposure. But local coverage only of races is indeed equally important and was even true of CART races when there was no network in place (the Detroit race).

In that category the only thing I've seen surface is partial coverage of the 1969 Brainerd races (just the tail end of the first one and some of the down time afterwards. I think the uploader has all of it, but didn't put it all up out of copyright fear).

http://www.radiotapes.com/Martz/Donn...hip_1969-1.mp3

http://www.radiotapes.com/Martz/Donn...hip_1969-2.mp3

Comment

I remember being surprised when i heard the play by play of the Mid-Ohio race on AM radio and Al Unser Jr. was leading. I was expecting a NASCAR race and it was what I wanted to hear and was recording it on the VHS VCR at home. I can't remember what year it was, but there were other ones on too. It was carried by a station in the Finger Lakes of NY with not great reception.
            And don't forget the heat!

Comment

A local radio station in Lansdale, PA would carry the Pocono 500 and a few other races for a few years in the 1980s. I remember Paul Page calling the races when he wasn't doing races for NBC.

Comment

My apologies again, because this again isn't exactly on topic, but regarding the discussion of local stations doing races, it's really interesting to me how often that happened.

I have some interesting 1/4 inch audio from a local California station of URA midget races from 1948!
                Last edited by lotuspoweredbyford; 02-10-2020, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lotuspoweredbyford View Post
                  My apologies again, because this again isn't exactly on topic, but regarding the discussion of local stations doing races, it's really interesting to me how often that happened.

I have some interesting 1/4 inch audio from a local California station of URA midget races from 1949!
                  What track? Now, that is cool. The races from Legion Ascot Speedway were broadcast over local radio in Los Angeles in the 1930s.

In the late 70s, a radio station in San Diego aired the super stock main event from the local paved oval (on brief tape dealy) each Saturday night.
                  "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Originally posted by JThur1 View Post
                    What track? Now, that is cool. The races from Legion Ascot Speedway were broadcast over local radio in Los Angeles in the 1930s.

In the late 70s, a radio station in San Diego aired the super stock main event from the local paved oval (on brief tape dealy) each Saturday night.

Just double checked them, they're actually from 1948.

Bonelli, Murphy's Thunderbowl, 5H, and Gilmore are what I have URA races from.

I have SCMRA races from 5H, Roscoe and El Monte from 1948.

Comment

All or most of the California 500 races would appear to exist. The Ontario City Library special collections has a lot about the Speedway and Boxes 12-15 of the holdings list these:

Box 12
                      22 7 ½ inch audio tapes of various OMS races -1970-1972
                      22 7 ½ inch audio tapes (in smaller boxes) OMS advertising spots-various years
                      3 audio tape cassettes Miller Life 500 1971
                      2 3 inch audio tape-radio ads Cal 500 undated

Box 13
                      25 audio tapes of various OMS races – 1973-76

Box 14
                      31 7 ½ inch audio tapes of various OMS races – 1977-78
                      13 5 inch audio tapes of OMS radio commercials – 1977

Box 15
                      31 7 ½ inch audio tapes of various OMS races – 1979-1980
                      2 3 inch audio tapes of Cal 500 – 1979

Incidentally, the library has digitized and put on archive.org a couple radio commercial spots but more interestingly put up a one hour track video (in B/W) of the 73 race (it's titled 72 but it's 73 since it's Dallenbach's victory).

https://archive.org/details/con_000051

Comment

Add the 1981 Michigan 500 to the list of races MRN covered. If you have the MRN Classics download of the 1994 Slick 50 300 race at New Hampshire, at one point as part of the 25th anniversary celebration of MRN they note how MRN had done Indy races in the past and they play a 40 second clip of the Herm Johnson pit fire as described by Bill Broderick (very dramatic in a kind of Hindenburg "It burst into flames!" style).

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Paddon View Post
                          Add the 1981 Michigan 500 to the list of races MRN covered. If you have the MRN Classics download of the 1994 Slick 50 300 race at New Hampshire, at one point as part of the 25th anniversary celebration of MRN they note how MRN had done Indy races in the past and they play a 40 second clip of the Herm Johnson pit fire as described by Bill Broderick (very dramatic in a kind of Hindenburg "It burst into flames!" style).
                          I remember hearing that, did MRN ever add that race to the throwback list? I never saw it.

Comment

Unfortunately no. The only Indy races MRN uploaded (and none are still there though I do have all of them) were 1973 California 500, 1979 Pocono 500 and 1979 Michigan Twin 125 (2nd race aired live; they played highlights of the first race which wasn't aired live).

It's too bad more weren't uploaded but at the same time, MRN really hasn't put anything new up in more than a year or two and even a number of NASCAR uploads like 1967 Daytona have disappeared.

Comment

I checked right after posting, it's a shame they don't post more updates. Apparently you can't download them anymore either.

Comment

No, what they have is still downloadable. http://www.digitalpodcast.com/feeds/...c-races?page=1 On this page if you right click "view page source" you'll get a page that looks like a lot of gibberish but you'll also find all the mp3 download links within. However they only work apparently for the first dozen or so pages (The ones at the back are the ones they've completely taken down)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X