1934 Indy/Gangster Trivia questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by goner View Post
    Yeah, I enjoyed poking around on google searching for clues and saw a lot of cool stuff
    I kept thinking - Dillinger - he was living here after all, but that too seemed too easy.

I worked with a ol’ gal back in the day that knew him. Meridian street, Indiana Ave were the hangouts and where she lived and played. She said “everybody” knew he was there, even the cops.
    That old gangster stuff really fascinates me and living so close to Chicago I love being able to check out the actual locations. I was down there for a work meeting last spring and I took a detour on the way home to visit the park where Baby Face Nelson had his final showdown with the FBI. It's in a county park pretty much adjacent to a swimming pool and splash pad.
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

Originally posted by Stick500 View Post
      Earlier this year The Star ran a story about one of Dillinger's getaway drivers who was also a dirt track race car driver.
      Hilton Crouch. The article says he is buried "a few yards west of Dillinger at Crown Hill Cemetery." It would be more accurate to say "a few hundred yards..."

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/...ver/818177001/

"If there is a place on Earth synonymous with race cars, it is Indianapolis." -- Bernie Ecclestone

"No matter where you go in the world, you say Indianapolis and they don't think about football or basketball, they think about the race." -- Richard Petty

Comment

And John Dillinger is still at Crown Hill in Indianapolis. https://apnews.com/7507ccda0df339cc1448eb90087189af

That nephew really did not have a good excuse to dig up Dillinger. On a different note the son of The Big Bopper did have a right of exhume his father.
        I'm just a mouse around the house.

Comment

And we think we live in a celebrity-mad society today.
          From the article;

"A few days after his 1934 burial, Dillinger’s father had his casket covered with a protective cap of concrete and scrap iron topped by four reinforced-concrete slabs to prevent vandals from trying to dig him up, according to Susan Sutton, a historian with the Indiana Historical Society."
          "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
          "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
          "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Crown Hill Cemetery conducts tours with various themes, and many of them include a stop at Dillinger's grave - even if he doesn't fit into the theme of the tour - because so many people want to see it. During one tour I attended last year, the guide said the cemetery was closed during Dillinger's graveside service, but hundreds of people lined the nearby fence to get a glimpse of the proceedings. He said that when the police left after the service, many people climbed the fence and scooped up handfuls of dirt as souvenirs.
            "If there is a place on Earth synonymous with race cars, it is Indianapolis." -- Bernie Ecclestone

"No matter where you go in the world, you say Indianapolis and they don't think about football or basketball, they think about the race." -- Richard Petty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X