Trivia question: anyone know an answer on this one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trivia question: anyone know an answer on this one

Today I heard a name of a brand of car that was entered at Indy, practiced and even qualified at Indy but eventually never ever started, let alone was classified in an Indy 500.
    They were in for only a single year.
    I had all but forgotten about that brand

Anyone knowing the answer on the question what brand of car it was and why they don't appear in starting fields after all??

Disclaimer, I heard one brand name today, maybe other people remember other brands of wich I don't know that they share the feat with the brand I'm thinking of. So the question may well have several correct answers.

A "brand" of car? Or, perhaps, a "make" of car? I mean, in 1974 the Cicada entered, practiced, and qualified but was bumped. But then they were there multiple years, so I guess that disqualifies them. Granatelli's Plymouth powered cars were at Indy only one year, I think...but then they didn't make a qualifying run that I know of. Maybe the Greenfield car? No, they showed up twice and again, I don't think they ever made a qualifying run. The Maxson 89 only showed up one year, but again, no completed run.

Probably this is pre-Jamski. Still it's fun to think about.
    You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski View Post
      A "brand" of car? Or, perhaps, a "make" of car? I mean, in 1974 the Cicada entered, practiced, and qualified but was bumped. But then they were there multiple years, so I guess that disqualifies them. Granatelli's Plymouth powered cars were at Indy only one year, I think...but then they didn't make a qualifying run that I know of. Maybe the Greenfield car? No, they showed up twice and again, I don't think they ever made a qualifying run. The Maxson 89 only showed up one year, but again, no completed run.

Probably this is pre-Jamski. Still it's fun to think about.
      Forgive me my poor "English", I wrote "brand" of car, but maybe "make' is the better description?
      If the answer is given, and it should have been make after all, `roast` me with hindsight.....

Comment

Well, the DSR only was there one year, 1984, and it DID make a qualifying run, but was withdrawn after Shierson obtained a Lola for Sullivan.

And your English is probably better than mine.
        You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski View Post
          Well, the DSR only was there one year, 1984, and it DID make a qualifying run, but was withdrawn after Shierson obtained a Lola for Sullivan.

And your English is probably better than mine.

Thanks,

and that was indeed the answer on the question
          Sorry, no prize other than hats off....

Comment

They ran the DSR-1 at Milwaukee, which I think was the final start for the chassis. It was designed by Ian Reed (I think).
            Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

Originally posted by Indyote View Post

Forgive me my poor "English", I wrote "brand" of car, but maybe "make' is the better description?
              If the answer is given, and it should have been make after all, `roast` me with hindsight.....
              Most people will understand whichever term you use.

Comment

Interesting trivia.

So what was the DSR?

"Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
                "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
                "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Photo.

https://allenmuseum.com/dsr_danny_sullivan.htm

==

Comment

Can't the same be said for the PC-16? Sullivan completed a qualifying run in one on pole day and then withdrew it on Day 3 in favor of the 1986 March.
                    "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

In spring 1984 magazine articles, the DSR was touted as being very easy to work on and make suspension adjustments quickly. But for Indy it had poor high-speed aero and would've gotten bumped.
                      You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by Belanger99 View Post
                        Can't the same be said for the PC-16? Sullivan completed a qualifying run in one on pole day and then withdrew it on Day 3 in favor of the 1986 March.
                        Indeed.
                        But despite this withdrawal, there had been and were other Penske chassis on the grid in other years, DSR never made a starting field. That makes the DSR the car I had in mind with my question.
                        But nevertheless: good alternative!

Edit
                        Bizarre coincidence: fro both the withdrawn DSR as well as the PC16: Danny Sullivan was driving and had qualified them !!!!
                        Last edited by Indyote; 02-02-2020, 05:23 AM.

Comment

That is something Donald Davidson would like to tell, huh?
                          Barney Oldfield - AJ Foyt - Jim Clark - Dan Gurney - IMS - IMS YT - INDYCAR - INDYCAR YT

Comment

You Guys are so good. I love being on the sidelines for these Great trivia questions!!! Keep up the trivia.
                            Is it May yet?
                            Take me back to a world gone away-James Pankow

Comment

There was a true sports chassis. Didn’t that not make the race?
                              No signature required

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X