X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 10 indy car broadcasts

Check this out.
    https://youtu.be/IY2TffzYa-0

The 1976 ABC coverage absolutely exists.

Comment

I always figured that part of the TV broadcast contract would include the network giving a reference copy of the broadcast to IMS. I guess not, huh?

Coincidentally, I have just assembled a guide to broadcasts on YouTube. I posted it to the main forum and will link that here.
      Barney Oldfield - AJ Foyt - Jim Clark - Dan Gurney - IMS - IMS YT - INDYCAR - INDYCAR YT

Comment

Originally posted by STAND E View Post
        I always figured that part of the TV broadcast contract would include the network giving a reference copy of the broadcast to IMS. I guess not, huh?
        I’m not sure what you mean.

Comment

I mean just giving the track historian a professional tape of the broadcast for archiving. I guess that is not normal practice if broadcasts are going missing.
          Barney Oldfield - AJ Foyt - Jim Clark - Dan Gurney - IMS - IMS YT - INDYCAR - INDYCAR YT

Comment

Originally posted by STAND E View Post
            I mean just giving the track historian a professional tape of the broadcast for archiving. I guess that is not normal practice if broadcasts are going missing.
            It’s not missing. It’s in the vault, that’s how I know it exists.

Comment

Good to know!

Comment

I was TOTALLY unfamiliar with the http://www.yesterdaysneuz.com/ site with all the audio of lost racing telecasts from reel to reel! I feel like I just got a big new Christmas gift with all this.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Paddon View Post
                  I was TOTALLY unfamiliar with the http://www.yesterdaysneuz.com/ site with all the audio of lost racing telecasts from reel to reel! I feel like I just got a big new Christmas gift with all this.
                  The guy that has that site is a really nice guy with some great info.
                  "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

The video covered a good portion of our familiar talking points here.
                    You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

So, to follow-up, of so-called "lost" Indianapolis 500 broadcasts...

1949-1950 WFBM: Probably don't exist
                      1964-1970 MCA closed circuit: Probably don't exist in their entirety; some clips exist here and there. The '66 was 'recovered/re-edited'.
                      1965 ABC WWOS: Exists, but it is brief and was in black & white
                      1972 ABC tape delay: No full clean copy exists, only partial
                      1976 ABC tape delay: Exists in its entirety.
                      Doctorindy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post
                        So, to follow-up, of so-called "lost" Indianapolis 500 broadcasts...

1972 ABC tape delay: No full clean copy exists, only partial
                        1976 ABC tape delay: Exists in its entirety.
                        Who owns the rights to those? Could either be released to YouTube or something like that?

http://www.honorflight.org/

Comment

A real surprise in those TV audio files. Roger Penske as racing analyst on the 1974 California 500 broadcast with Keith Jackson. (ABC aired only the final 150 miles of the race live on WWOS)

Comment

Originally posted by RacingPortaJohn View Post

Who owns the rights to those? Could either be released to YouTube or something like that?
                            We paid to have the 1976 race digitized but there are no plans to upload anywhere it at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by lotuspoweredbyford View Post

We paid to have the 1976 race digitized but there are no plans to upload anywhere it at this time.
                              Curious to read this.

Some years ago I helped a Dutch friend of me to obtain a Spark 1:43 model of Rutherford's '76 winner that he dearly wanted to have. When I asked him why that car he told me that he was a fan of the turbocharged Offy so had a sweet spot for the last ever winner that used one but in addition to that: the very first Indy event he ever had seen footage of on Dutch TV while still a child was of the 1976 race. A Dutch TV station had made a `special` on Indy with a reporter on location and it contained some minutes race footage. it was shown on a late evening on a weekday somewhere early in June and he told me what he had to do for his parents to be allowed to stay up late for that program.
                              He distinctively remembered that the race was flagged little over halfway and how the winning driver walked into Victory Lane thus the year had to be 1976. And the program made him an indy fan even more. Given how he talked about having seen that program, that's why I still remember he did to me!
                              My friend is still trying to find a copy of that particular Dutch sports program.
                              BTW, something similar happened on German TV in 1984, I could tape that report back then. And made a number of other European friends I have happy with copies of that tape!

But all of this mentioned just as a rarity and odd fact about how 1976 coverage has been used abroad in a country that didn't care about Indy at all in that time, so something must have existed back then.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X