Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other than the two in IMS museum, are there any Wildcats still in existance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other than the two in IMS museum, are there any Wildcats still in existance?

From what I could work out, there must have been at lest som 8-10 or so Wildcats being built between '75 and '83 if not more.
    I know there are two of them in the IMS Museum, thankfully Gordy's 82 winner among them.

But other than the Texaco Star at IMS as well, are there any other Wildcats still surviving somewhere?

Hopefully,the 46 is resting intact under a tarp and on jackstands somewhere.I remember seeing a photo of a Mark 2(shovel nose) that was painted white in a display somewhere a few years ago.Don't know more than that.I wonder if the reason for their Earhart-like disappearance is because they were actually built with government funds as oil exploration resources. Pat Patrick supposedly built them with a government grant since the government was looking for more oil sources,and he was an oil "wildcatter",hence the name Wildcat. Maybe they are still kept in top-secret places.

Comment

Originally posted by MillerOffy View Post
      Hopefully,the 46 is resting intact under a tarp and on jackstands somewhere.I remember seeing a photo of a Mark 2(shovel nose) that was painted white in a display somewhere a few years ago.Don't know more than that.I wonder if the reason for their Earhart-like disappearance is because they were actually built with government funds as oil exploration resources. Pat Patrick supposedly built them with a government grant since the government was looking for more oil sources,and he was an oil "wildcatter",hence the name Wildcat. Maybe they are still kept in top-secret places.

I agree with you that the Armstrong #46 is one of the most significant of all Wildcats and even within Indy 500 history. (last ever Miller derivative ever in the top 3 and gone the full race distance and for that alone being worth to be preserved.
      I got a message that Mario's '81 car also still exists but the location and owner could not be unveiled but my informant swore me he had seen the car and is 100% sure it indeed still exists.
      So that makes three cars still existing.

Comment

Originally posted by Indyote View Post
        I got a message that Mario's '81 car also still exists but the location and owner could not be unveiled...
        Really who sent you this message?

"Could not be unveiled."

So much fake drama and a whole lot of nonsense. There is no secret as to the car's whereabouts. A good friend of mine owns it and I see it (and him) quite frequently. He also owns Bobby Unser's '81 Penske (visible in the lower left corner of the photo below) and the McLaren that Vern Schuppan drove in '81. As such, he has the cars that came in first, second and third in the 1981 running of the 500.

Mario's Wildcat.jpg
        Last edited by Spike; 11-26-2019, 12:20 PM.
        "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

I only quoted what my informant told me, not everyone is as willing to share everything he knows for whatever reasons. (I was asked to accept and understand this)

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
            Really who sent you this message?

"Could not be unveiled."

So much fake drama and a whole lot of nonsense. There is no secret as to the car's whereabouts. A good friend of mine owns it and I see it (and him) quite frequently. He also owns Bobby Unser's '81 Penske (visible in the lower right corner of the photo below) and the McLaren that Vern Schuppan drove in '81. As such, he has the cars that came in first, second and third in the 1981 running of the 500.

Mario's Wildcat.jpg
            I have had the privilege to see that car collection. Great cars there

Comment

I only quoted what my informant told me...
              At least now you know that you can scratch that "informant" off the list for your next secret investigation.

I've posted photos of the car in past threads. There is no big mystery about it.

"I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Maybe they are still kept in top-secret places.
                Rumor has it they are all locked securely away in a massive vault hidden in a cave inside Pat Patrick's super-secret lair buried deep within a dormant volcano on a remote desert island; the exact location of which cannot be unveiled.

Comment

Is that the same location where Pat is working on his CNG-fueled Prototype Challenge entry for the American Le Mans series?

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                    At least now you know that you can scratch that "informant" off the list for your next secret investigation.

I've posted photos of the car in past threads. There is no big mystery about it.

Spike,

After several confrontations with you in the past I had put you on ignore and didn't read your posts anymore.
                    So if you posted about that car, I missed them, voluntarily and with (at least for me) good reasons
                    Regrettably, that ìgnore` option has gone when this site moved.
                    So I am confronted with your posts again.

I have only taken the effort to reply on your post since you provided evidence of that third Wildcat. Had you not done that I would not have reacted on you to begin with.

You are obviously `someone` within the Indycar fans with connections some of us over here can only dream.

Over here in Europe, you can't be selective in choosing who you want to be an informant yes or no, it is alos a matter of luck if you run into someone who is willing to help out with info as far as he dares. Because of respecting the privacy etc of owners who don't want everything about their collection being known on the internet.
                    I don't know your true personality. But I know that I rather deal with my informant who gave me the Wildcat info that that I am dealing with Trackforum member `Spike`.
                    BLess yourself with being so lucky with having so many good contacts but for once, realize that not everyone, certainly not outside the USA is that lucky to have things of which you act you can take them for granted and act accordingly to people who can't reach your status in their wildest dreams.

Last edited by Indyote; 11-24-2019, 07:07 AM.

Comment

A quick look through the 1978-1980 yearbooks, (quick so I might missed a few) I found at least 5 different Wildcat chassis being raced in the 500 within those years. So somehow these seemed to have gone out of Pat's ownership. At least for a while.
                      Maybe, maybe he did copy his buddy Roger Penske and tried to buy back his cars of the past. But I have not heard anything about that.

I have also received word that in May 2011 Chuck Haines in St Louis had a 1983 Wildcat (supposedly the ex-Johncock car) for sale. But no further traces of this car since then available.

Comment

I only quoted what my informant told me, not everyone is as willing to share everything he knows for whatever reasons. (I was asked to accept and understand this)
                        I don't get all the cloak-and-dagger lore about who might own old race cars. What are the owners worried about, theft, vandalism, massive crowds? What percentage of the general population gives a flying hoot anyway?
                        You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by dalz View Post

I don't get all the cloak-and-dagger lore about who might own old race cars. What are the owners worried about, theft, vandalism, massive crowds? What percentage of the general population gives a flying hoot anyway?

Using that logic, shouldn't we then wonder why on so many classic car auctions the buyers of top cars prefer to remain anonymous as well?

But I can give a reason.
                          I don't want to accuse anyone. No-one. Nobody.

But over here in Europe at least we have had cases of people who had got themselves quite a collection of interesting cars with money that should have gone elsewhere and was not their poperty anymore, let alone to be spend by them on rare cars.
                          Hope this is clear enough. Again, I don't accuse anyone.

Edit: But in the case of my informant: the reason why he did not reveal all he knew to me and asked me not to share the details he did gave is different and not because of bad thoughts about the owner of the car.

In the case of my informant, he asked me to believe him on his word and that he knew where and more about the Wildcat in question. But he was not aware about this particular car and its current owner being mentioned on the Internet already. And he didn't wanted to be the man who mentioned such or being the source behind it should such info appear on the internet.

Last edited by Indyote; 11-24-2019, 12:40 PM.

Comment

I don't want to accuse anyone. No-one. Nobody.
                            All three. Impressive.

But over here in Europe...
                            You mention that a lot, but where in Europe do you post from? Anytime I've seen someone ask you that, you never respond. Why is that? What's the big secret?

...we have had cases of people who had got themselves quite a collection of interesting cars with money that should have gone elsewhere and was not their poperty anymore, let alone to be spend by them on rare cars.
                            Hope this is clear enough. Again, I don't accuse anyone.
                            Accuse them of what? Why should asking about whether a certain car exists anymore, and if so, where, involve any sort of accusations?

...in the case of my informant: the reason why he did not reveal all he knew to me and asked me not to share the details he did gave is different and not because of bad thoughts about the owner of the car.
                            No bad thoughts? That's a relief.

In the case of my informant, he asked me to believe him on his word and that he knew where and more about the Wildcat in question. But he was not aware about this particular car and its current owner being mentioned on the Internet already.
                            Not only has the Wildcat in my photo been "mentioned on the internet already," it has been shown, and driven, publicly many times; including at IMS. Again, there is no great mystery here. No secret hiding place, no bad thoughts. No drama. It's just a race car.

And he didn't wanted to be the man who mentioned such or being the source behind it should such info appear on the internet.
                            There's a simple, and obvious solution to your "informant's" fears. Don't mention his name. Don't say anything about him.

The next time you mention the location of some car, or ask about the same, spare us the drama of saying something like, "I have reliable information, from a reliable informant, but he asked me not to say anything about his information because he is afraid of being the one who informed me of certain things that he does not want to have unveiled."

Comment

I've wanted to see the Malloy collection for a long time. Would especially like to see the Watson Vollstedt-copies run.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X