RIP John Martin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP John Martin

The IMS Museum twitter account just tweeted that 5 time Indy starter (and 12 time entrant) John Martin passed away at age 80

Driver of the Sea Snack Shrimp Special.
    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

He was owner, driver, chief mechanic, engine builder and sponsor finder -- all at the same time. John Martin was the last of a breed at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in the 1970s and used his talent, guile and work ethic to make five Indianapolis 500s.
      "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
      "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
      "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

D2EnOFkXcAAQIMG.jpg
        The Ayn Rand of Indycar

Comment

Originally posted by DaveL View Post
          Driver of the Sea Snack Shrimp Special.
          On my desktop background rotation, one of the pictures I have is of Martin in the Sea Snack McLaren racing Gordy Johncock in the Patrick Eagle, I would have to double check the track but it's not Indy

Comment

I remember him showing up in the early 80's with what i believe was the last Offy to attempt to qualify...

Comment

Originally posted by stockblock View Post
              I remember him showing up in the early 80's with what i believe was the last Offy to attempt to qualify...
              You confused him with John Mahler, 1983.
              The Ayn Rand of Indycar

Comment

Met him once at Riverside, where he was helping the Mears Gang during a Cal Club race. He was very kind to an overly enthusiastic Indy car fan.
                You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by DaveL View Post

You confused him with John Mahler, 1983.
                  stockblock is indeed correct, in 1982 Martin was the last person to make a qualifying attempt in an Offenhauser powered car when he waved off an attempt in one of Rolla Vollstedt's old cars early on Bubble Day

Comment

IIRC, one year at Indy he turned a qualifying lap at exactly 50.00 seconds and 180.000 mph. I don't think anyone else has ever done anything like that.
                    Tibi Fumus Obsidio Septum Doro

Comment

Originally posted by senorsoupe View Post

stockblock is indeed correct, in 1982 Martin was the last person to make a qualifying attempt in an Offenhauser powered car when he waved off an attempt in one of Rolla Vollstedt's old cars early on Bubble Day
                      This is correct, I was wrong. I thought Mahler's car in '83 was Offy powered which it was not.
                      The Ayn Rand of Indycar

Comment

Always enjoyed watching John Martin. We could use more characters like him these days.
                        "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

I miss the Unsponsored Special. The most honest car ever - We don't have any money, but we came here to race.

Comment

Originally posted by senorsoupe View Post

Boom Boom Cannon was in Vollstedt's Lightning copy in 83, but I'm not sure if they ever made an attempt. Weirdly, if they had, they might possibly have made the show...they were going faster than Fillip's bubble speed.

I think by this point that car had an Eagle-like extended tail on it too!
                            You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

"An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X